Comments for: Cain General Hospital

+ Reply to Page
    "Scavenger"

Status
    Comments
    Why name it Cain? no hospital in history would name a hospital after the evil son from genesis. the son that is forced to wander the earth. I need help on this problem. What could it possibly mean?
    It may be a bit late, but I just discovered the forum a few days ago.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Comments
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    It's LA. The majority of the public buildings and venues are named after either celebrities, politicians, or corporate sponsors. There are very few places with religious names, which is ironic considering so many of the community names have Spanish religious origins. My guess, Cain General would have been named after someone named Cain, possibly the actor Dean Cain.

Of course we've seen how deftly KC has integrated Christian religious names and imagery into We're Alive, so your point was probably what he meant to convey--this has become an evil place.

Browncoat

Status
    Comments
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    Of course we've seen how deftly KC has integrated Christian religious names and imagery into We're Alive, so your point was probably what he meant to convey--this has become an evil place.
    I concur. I think we're supposed to draw something from the use of the name Cain being that from the story of Cain and Able. That "something" being that this place would normally be used to help people and provide good for them but instead is a place of evil and bad.

I think we haven't seen the last of Cain Hospital. There is more there that we will find/learn about in Season 4...
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Comments
    Cain was marked. No clarification on what the mark was but he was marked by god. Doubt that'll come into a story that has had no religious overtones since it started.

Browncoat

Status
    Comments
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTheLastJumper View Post
    Cain was marked. No clarification on what the mark was but he was marked by god. Doubt that'll come into a story that has had no religious overtones since it started.
    Completely forgot about Cain being marked. Good call.

Remembering now that God marked Cain so that others would know his sin (murdering his brother) and to let people know that they would be punished if they killed Cain (to remind the people that justice belonged to God alone).

Like you said, aside from some names & symbology we haven't seen heavy Christian (or generally religious) tones in the story. I think Kc even mentioned a time or two in the forums (or on WND) that he is not putting religion in the heart of the story.

But.... There is some ripe areas to draw from with Cain & Able...

I'm just sayin'
    Last edited by scbubba; Aug 29th, 2013 at 03:47 AM.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Comments
    I could also bring up the Lilith thing but that may be reading to much into it. As I said I don't see this being big in the main story.
    And if it is I will be furious!

Browncoat

Status
    Comments
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTheLastJumper View Post
    I could also bring up the Lilith thing but that may be reading to much into it. As I said I don't see this being big in the main story.
    And if it is I will be furious!
    I don't think the tie in with Cain & Able will be big, but I do think that the hospital may be the setting for one or more scenes in Season 4 as we start to see the whole of this tale that Kc is weaving for us....

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Comments
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Felix (sorry, Reply With Quote doesn't seem to be working for me tonight),

I think you're on to something with your reference to Cain having been marked. We know the hospital is where the Little Ones were tattooed...surely the WA equivalent of the "Mark of Cain". I wouldn't be surprised if KC chose the name Cain General Hospital just to help us make that inference.

One other thing regarding religion and the hospital. In Chapter 21-1, when Burt describes the hospital, he makes a point of saying that it was laid out like a cross. Cain General was largely modeled on a real LA hospital, the LA County/USC Medical Center. You can find a cross shape in that design, but only if you squint really hard and ignore a bunch of extra wings. I always wondered why KC made that change. Maybe it was meant to reinforce the message sent by naming the hospital Cain.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Comments
    Thanks Cabbage Patch, my real names actually Christian so it fits I know at least a little about the religion.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Comments
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    Caines may also be mentioned in Chapter 1. Angel says the mental Hospital is not far from here (Bell, reserve base).

Tags for this Page