User Tag List

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt

Due to computer issues, Tales from the IPR on hiatus.

I had intended to have part three posted by now, probably would have posted it last night... but my laptop died last night.
    What might turn out to be a catastrophic failure. All indications seem to point at the cpu having burned out. I very dearly hope it was not the hard drive. I do not know yet if I have lost anything, or what if I have.

I do archive my work and did so recently, but I'm not sure how recently.
    I have available what I need for basic data recovery but I will not be able to do anything to those ends until tomorrow night at the absolute earliest, more likely Thursday.

I do have some "options" but it may be a week or more before I can act on them and likely more than two before I will even be remotely close to being "back on my feet."

Further updates to follow.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Oof. I feel your pain, sir. I lost a lot of work when my last lappy died. Turned out it was a combination of the fan, and faulty power supply. Probably could have saved the machine itself, but I settled for letting go of shit that probably wasn't worth being upset over in the long run. Hope it gets sorted soon, bro.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:

Thanks. It has been frankly terrifying to be honest.

I have been able to determine that it was NOT the hard drive. I took it to the library with a shell to attempt data recovery... a strange thing happened when I tried to open my user's folder, I received a don't have permissions/rights/access to this folder error and the option to "take ownership" of it... However, the IT setup at the library wanted an admin login and password to do that. Sooo... the data is there, I just can't access it yet.

While I was there, I also learned that my last archival back up to thumb drive was on the 29th of April... which I made two additional copies of.

I have also received an offer of assistance in getting a new machine as well. A small one but better than nothing to be sure. I an heavily leaning to going the desktop route with a new computer, it will offer better upgradability in the long term. To a such a degree that I may even come out on top. It's just damned inconvenient now. My anticipated timeline more or less still stands.
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

At least you've got backups of most of your work. So that's a plus. Could be a shit ton worse, yeah?
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:

Good news everyone...

I just picked up a new(ish) computer today. I have decided to make the move to a desk top and it is a fairly decent refurbished machine with huge potential for upgrades. I also figured that by the time I actually need a laptop again, I will probably be able to just go buy one without really having to think about it.
    Even better news is that I seem to have lost nothing. I was able to move all my files from the laptop's old hard drive without a hitch and so far, everything seems to be intact. Everything I have written, even my old Minecraft saves.

Sooo... maybe in the next couple days after I get caught up here and with what I have written, I might be able to have Ghosts part three posted.
    Likes Verse liked this post
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

"Lurker"

Status
    How useful is your travel gadget?