User Tag List

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 313
  1. #141
    Zombiekiller100's Avatar
    "Lurker"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Newport
    Posts
    19
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post

    I believe this to be a wholly incorrect diagnosis. Scratch displays sociopathic tendencies, not psychopathic. The biggest factor being she understands the difference between right and wrong (rape, protecting unborn children, empathy for child-bearing women, etc), she simply chooses to ignore it and follow her own code and compass--which is indicative of the sociopath. She's far, far from a psychopath.
    Some psychiatrist have used psychopath and sociopath interchangeably, as have I. In modern psychiatry they are seen as separate diagnoses but have a considerable overlap. Scratch exhibits elements of both however more IMHO psychopathic elements: high incidence of violence and impulsivity, lack of conscience and empathy, erratic and violent criminal behavior, values relationships that only benefit themselves. She let her brother go to prison for a crime she committed ! Interestingly, studies on the brain waves of psychopaths have indicated that there is a marked difference in how their brains react to certain stimuli. Because they have no feeling and no concern for others or themselves, the threat of fear does not trigger the same response in the brain of a psychopath that it does in another person. Some believe sociopaths have a very skewed moral compass whereas psychopaths a brain abnormality in the amygdala which controls emotional responses. Compassion meditations undertaken by bhuddist monks have been analysed in functional brain MRI scans and linked to increased social connectedness.
    Likes Storm, Witch_Doctor liked this post

  2. #142
    Cabbage Patch's Avatar
    "Body Removal Team"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    968
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I have sympathy for Scratch, but I don't see any hope for her redemption. Leaving aside Burt, and the murder of various Mallers, the worst things on Scratch's slate are the ones that were only hinted at. The treatment of the Maller's "slaves". What happened to the Colonists under Maller rule. The short, and probably horrific life of Kalani's daughter, Hannah, from the time she was captured to the day she was executed to provide a "distraction".

    Definitely a sociopath.

  3. #143
    Osiris's Avatar
    Ostentatious Legume

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moderating your face
    Posts
    4,115
    Blog Entries
    16
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiekiller100 View Post
    Some psychiatrist have used psychopath and sociopath interchangeably, as have I. In modern psychiatry they are seen as separate diagnoses but have a considerable overlap. Scratch exhibits elements of both however more IMHO psychopathic elements: high incidence of violence and impulsivity, lack of conscience and empathy, erratic and violent criminal behavior, values relationships that only benefit themselves. She let her brother go to prison for a crime she committed ! Interestingly, studies on the brain waves of psychopaths have indicated that there is a marked difference in how their brains react to certain stimuli. Because they have no feeling and no concern for others or themselves, the threat of fear does not trigger the same response in the brain of a psychopath that it does in another person. Some believe sociopaths have a very skewed moral compass whereas psychopaths a brain abnormality in the amygdala which controls emotional responses. Compassion meditations undertaken by bhuddist monks have been analysed in functional brain MRI scans and linked to increased social connectedness.

    The two are not interchangeable. Psychopaths display an inherent incapability to plan their acts ahead of time, they act impulsively. Scratch clearly displays the opposite. Sociopaths are thoughtful in their acts, meticulous with their planning. Psychopaths have zero moral compass, and no clear definitions of right and wrong. They draw no lines of distinction. Scratch has expressed regret, empathy, sympathy, and remorse. Something psychopaths are incapable of. Psychopaths are unable to maintain or nurture relationships, with strangers or even family members. They are habitual loners, and awkward in social situations. Something Scratch is decidedly not. She's organized, and the only thing that mattered to her was her brother. Typical traits of the sociopath.

    The fact is, the only trait she possesses that would assume psychopathy is her temperament. She displays the ability to understand how to behave in social situations, but she also displayed a modicum of compulsiveness, acting without forethought regardless of danger to herself or those under her. That in itself does not necessarily make her a psychopath. The attack on the tower serves as an example of sociopathic tendencies. It was organized, and well-planned. She had plan. She lost her brother, and fell into a fit of blind rage, something anyone is capable of. Issues? Yes. Psychopath? No. Decidedly not.

    Likes Storm liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

  4. #144
    TacticalJHP's Avatar
    "Hoarder"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashland KY
    Posts
    243
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATH1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Not for nothing, but she was sofa king hot in that movie.
    Yes, but everyone in the movie had a Blood pressure of 1200/800

    Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    We all know that Burt and Riley are looking for Scratch. However, has anyone put much thought into the end game? What happens when they find her?
    Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    I should add....yes, they see scratch...shoot to kill. No talking, no questions. Her agenda is clear, its simply protecting others, possibly on both sides, from further death.

    I think you mean....."Shoot that bitch in the face!"
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post
    There's nothing quite like a bullet to the brain to say "Hey seriously, cut that out!"

    "Take yer hat off boy, that's a dollar bill!"

  5. #145
    Verse's Avatar
    "Gatherer"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hilton Head, SC
    Posts
    134
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved

    He is my take on it.

    Scratch is an evil bitch. People can toss out "You don't know her side of the story" and "She is a victim of her past" or "We don't know all the details" but it doesn't matter IMO. The facts are what they are. She tortured and murdered an innocent man at The Mall to cover her track with the tanker. She kidnapped an innocent girl and blackmailed her father with her. She had Hanna killed as well. She caused the fight with The Tower for who knows why. It was hinted she killed Dr. Jason to cover her tracks more murdering Angel. She tortured Burt. As soon as she realized that Bricks told on her she murdered him. Then she had dozens killed when The Tower fell. It was hinted she let her brother go to jail for crimes she committed. If Riley goes through with this she is stepping over a line. The difference is what she does later. Scratch got worse. She is an animal.

    It is what it is.

    Riley's path is following hers. "How far are you willing to go for Revenge?" We will soon see. We were made to like Riley more than Scratch. Scratch is that villain we love to hate. She is well written. I am pretty damn sure KC even wrote her this way for this reason. To show us how close these people are to becoming Scratch. What happens when you let go of the morals that makes us human.

    Kulani was given a pass by me as soon as I learned about his daughter. I have two sons. A Four year old and soon to be three year old. The question isn't what I would do to save them, but what wouldn't I do. I would have willingly did all he did and more. I am sure anyone with a kid would agree. There is a double standard. It's called life. In a perfect world both Scratch and Kulani would be held to the same standard. They both did horrible stuff. Life is not perfect though. It isn't Black and White. At the end of the day the ideals of different. Scratch is evil and does thinsg for her own selfish reasons. Thus she doesn't get a pass. Kulani was a desperate man trying to get back his kid. He does.

    On Morality when the world ends...

    If this show has shown us anything is that Morality is what keeps us from being the Monsters. There are certain lines you can't cross. I want to say the ends justify the means, but that isn't the case. When you are willing to do anything you end up with nothing. Without some Morals you become an animal. Yes, your morals have to change. Pegs learned that. You can't cling to everything. You have to be willing to change. The goal is to still be human when you do.

  6. #146
    Osiris's Avatar
    Ostentatious Legume

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moderating your face
    Posts
    4,115
    Blog Entries
    16
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalJHP View Post
    Yes, but everyone in the movie had a Blood pressure of 1200/800
    joint-point-counter-joint

  7. #147
    Osiris's Avatar
    Ostentatious Legume

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moderating your face
    Posts
    4,115
    Blog Entries
    16
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by Verse View Post
    He is my take on it.

    Scratch is an evil bitch. People can toss out "You don't know her side of the story" and "She is a victim of her past" or "We don't know all the details" but it doesn't matter IMO. The facts are what they are. She tortured and murdered an innocent man at The Mall to cover her track with the tanker. She kidnapped an innocent girl and blackmailed her father with her. She had Hanna killed as well. She caused the fight with The Tower for who knows why. It was hinted she killed Dr. Jason to cover her tracks more murdering Angel. She tortured Burt. As soon as she realized that Bricks told on her she murdered him. Then she had dozens killed when The Tower fell. It was hinted she let her brother go to jail for crimes she committed. If Riley goes through with this she is stepping over a line. The difference is what she does later. Scratch got worse. She is an animal.

    It is what it is.

    Riley's path is following hers. "How far are you willing to go for Revenge?" We will soon see. We were made to like Riley more than Scratch. Scratch is that villain we love to hate. She is well written. I am pretty damn sure KC even wrote her this way for this reason. To show us how close these people are to becoming Scratch. What happens when you let go of the morals that makes us human.

    Kulani was given a pass by me as soon as I learned about his daughter. I have two sons. A Four year old and soon to be three year old. The question isn't what I would do to save them, but what wouldn't I do. I would have willingly did all he did and more. I am sure anyone with a kid would agree. There is a double standard. It's called life. In a perfect world both Scratch and Kulani would be held to the same standard. They both did horrible stuff. Life is not perfect though. It isn't Black and White. At the end of the day the ideals of different. Scratch is evil and does thinsg for her own selfish reasons. Thus she doesn't get a pass. Kulani was a desperate man trying to get back his kid. He does.

    On Morality when the world ends...

    If this show has shown us anything is that Morality is what keeps us from being the Monsters. There are certain lines you can't cross. I want to say the ends justify the means, but that isn't the case. When you are willing to do anything you end up with nothing. Without some Morals you become an animal. Yes, your morals have to change. Pegs learned that. You can't cling to everything. You have to be willing to change. The goal is to still be human when you do.
    Those are the facts as you see them, yes. Some of it is speculative, some is a matter of perspective.

    For the record, the reason behind the war at the tower, the attacks on the Michael's group... the entire Scratch arc all hinges on one act. Burt shooting the mirror of the tanker truck in Scratch's first appearance in an attempt to assert his alpha dog status. Burt's ego got all of those people killed. Burt's actions caused Pegs to be hunted, Lizzy to be kidnapped, and almost raped, and CJ to lose her leg.
    joint-point-counter-joint

  8. #148
    Litmaster's Avatar
    Tower Librarian

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,108
    Blog Entries
    4
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    While entirely true. Does the effects of the post-apocalyptic situation not also change how you should deal with prisoners of war?(and lets face it, that's what Phillip is).
    Hmmm... well, I don't think so. The common factor here is that there are two opposing sides: allied and enemy. Anything that would help your side win the conflict (whether Maller or Tower side) would be fair game in this situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    In the current scenario, what's more important? Revenge for fallen comrades, or increasing your own survival rate?

    But back on topic. Knowing what they do of him...does his insight help the group? That's a deciding factor for me...if you talk shit about me and I never hear it, it never happened..simple as that.
    In this case, revenge and increasing survival rate are one on the same, assuming they can take out Scratch. Presumably Tardust has cut bait with Scratch, thus making him less of a threat, but there is no good way for Burt or Riley to verify this. For all they know, he could be lying through his teeth. The application of torture in this case is a use of force intended to get the truth from Tar-- the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...
    We're back Alive again for WA Goldrush!

  9. #149
    Litmaster's Avatar
    Tower Librarian

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,108
    Blog Entries
    4
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    For the record, the reason behind the war at the tower, the attacks on the Michael's group... the entire Scratch arc all hinges on one act. Burt shooting the mirror of the tanker truck in Scratch's first appearance in an attempt to assert his alpha dog status. Burt's ego got all of those people killed. Burt's actions caused Pegs to be hunted, Lizzy to be kidnapped, and almost raped, and CJ to lose her leg.
    Wow. Osi's zealous devotion to Scratch has muddied his judgement to the extreme, and this post is evidence of the fact. Come on, man... you're seriously trying to pin all that on Burt?! Why don't you just blame it all on Lady, since the whole 'Burt shooting the tanker truck mirror' incident wouldn't have happened if that fucking mutt didn't have to take a leak in the first place!
    We're back Alive again for WA Goldrush!

  10. #150
    DagnyTag's Avatar
    "Lurker"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Studio City
    Posts
    13
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    Hmmm... well, I don't think so. The common factor here is that there are two opposing sides: allied and enemy. Anything that would help your side win the conflict (whether Maller or Tower side) would be fair game in this situation.



    In this case, revenge and increasing survival rate are one on the same, assuming they can take out Scratch. Presumably Tardust has cut bait with Scratch, thus making him less of a threat, but there is no good way for Burt or Riley to verify this. For all they know, he could be lying through his teeth. The application of torture in this case is a use of force intended to get the truth from Tar-- the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...
    I don't think you can put all that on Burt. Scratch threatened to shoot Lizzy just because she walked toward them to say Hi. Then both Scratch and Latch wanted to trade the tanker for sexual favors from Lizzy. They provoked Burt first.
    Likes Zombiekiller100, Elisa liked this post


 
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •