User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

W/A Convoy Support Team

Hey! Wanna help other W/A Forumites have a great experience?

Have special skills, talents, and/or knowledge that you can bring to the table?

Want to participate in the We're Alive Finale Convoy this July, but not quite willing to quit your job / divorce your spouse in order to make the trip? (although it's damned tempting...)

Never fear! You can join the WE'RE ALIVE CONVOY SUPPORT TEAM! What is that, you ask? Well, there are many issues that have yet to be resolved with this trip that can be made easier / better if we have a home support team to keep in communication with both before and during the trip. What kind of help do we need? Uh, not totally sure at this point, but the purpose of this thread is to be a community bulletin board of sorts to post ideas and ask for help regarding the planning and execution of this epic journey!

Stay tuned to subsequent posts for more details!
    We're back Alive again for WA Goldrush!

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    CONVOY TECHIE HELP NEEDED

Ok, so one thing that Todd and I were talking about is the media aspect of the trip. We are throwing ideas around about taking audio / video on the trip with us to document the journey, but we're not quite clear on this aspect at the moment. So:

1. Does anyone have a good idea regarding how we can document this trip and make it available for other Forumites to 'virtually' paricipate in, even if they can't go with us? I'm looking for specifics regarding what type of hardware we should bring and how we can get it from the road, edited, and on the internet with minimal hassle.

2. Is there anyone out there who can volunteer to be a video editor for us? Again, this is not totally clear, but we will be recording raw video segments that we can hopefully email to someone, who can then hopefully edit into a more polished form, upload to Youtube (I suppose), then link over here on the Forum on the Convoy thread so everyone can enjoy.

3. Also, anyone with specific ideas regarding how to make this documentation aspects more creative / interesting / entertaining would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Litmaster; Jan 22nd, 2014 at 05:18 PM.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries
    CONVOY LOCATION PLANNING HELP NEEDED

I would also welcome any suggestions regarding location planning. I know that we're going to be traveling from St. Louis to Tulsa along interstate 44, but I don't know much about Oklahoma or any interesting attractions along that route.

Similarly, if there is anyone out there who is familiar with Flagstaff, AZ and can think of a compelling attraction for us to see there, I'd appreciate it!
    Last edited by Litmaster; Jan 22nd, 2014 at 05:19 PM.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries
    MORE CONVOY TECHIE HELP NEEDED

Regarding technology, I don't know much about web connectivity. I've seen people with these little doo-hickey's to give themselves web access remotely from a laptop, but never looked into it myself. Also keep in mind that we may be passing through some remote areas connectivity-wise. Anyone out there with some suggestions on how we can stay online on the road?

Regarding audio recording, I plan on bringing some of my audio gear with me: a laptop, a few condenser mics, a small mixer, and my Zoom H2 digital recorder. So we should be able to record the trip with good sound quality. I also have editing software so I can mix in background sounds and make good-sounding podcasts of the trip, even while on the road. However, I will need someone at home who I can email the finished MP3 files to who can then make it available for other Forumites to listen to.

I've never really had to upload audio on the internet, so does anyone know an easy way we can take those road recordings and make them available for the Forum to listen to while we are on the road?
    Last edited by Litmaster; Jan 22nd, 2014 at 05:19 PM.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries
    CONVOY GAME IDEA HELP NEEDED

Okay, so we know that we will primarily be re-listening to the entire WA story through the van stereo whenever we are traveling from place to place. But there will be 2 nights that we will be camping and have some mingle time with each other, so I thought it would be fun if we had a few quick 'We're Alive' games we could play. For example, Blaire and Kc play this game where she reads a page from the script in a funny accent and he tries to guess which chapter it's from. I thought we could play something like that, trivia related, etc.

Any ideas for something that would be fun?

Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA Points10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Gamertag: XtremeRSR PSN ID: SenatorX
    Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    CONVOY TECHIE HELP NEEDED

Ok, so one thing that Todd and I were talking about is the media aspect of the trip. We are throwing ideas around about taking audio / video on the trip with us to document the journey, but we're not quite clear on this aspect at the moment. So:

1. Does anyone have a good idea regarding how we can document this trip and make it available for other Forumites to 'virtually' paricipate in, even if they can't go with us? I'm looking for specifics regarding what type of hardware we should bring and how we can get it from the road, edited, and on the internet with minimal hassle.

2. Is there anyone out there who can volunteer to be a video editor for us? Again, this is not totally clear, but we will be recording raw video segments that we can hopefully email to someone, who can then hopefully edit into a more polished form, upload to Youtube (I suppose), then link over here on the Forum on the Convoy thread so everyone can enjoy.

3. Also, anyone with specific ideas regarding how to make this documentation aspects more creative / interesting / entertaining would be much appreciated.
    1: you could do some live streams while recording at the same time. People could have some sort of contact via messaging.

2. Should time permit I can help you edit the video.

3. Maybe with the interactions of viewers you can get statuses on other parts of the country, maybe do video chats with whomever and record what is on screen with them as part of your video.

Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA Points10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    MORE CONVOY TECHIE HELP NEEDED

Regarding technology, I don't know much about web connectivity. I've seen people with these little doo-hickey's to give themselves web access remotely from a laptop, but never looked into it myself. Also keep in mind that we may be passing through some remote areas connectivity-wise. Anyone out there with some suggestions on how we can stay online on the road?

Regarding audio recording, I plan on bringing some of my audio gear with me: a laptop, a few condenser mics, a small mixer, and my Zoom H2 digital recorder. So we should be able to record the trip with good sound quality. I also have editing software so I can mix in background sounds and make good-sounding podcasts of the trip, even while on the road. However, I will need someone at home who I can email the finished MP3 files to who can then make it available for other Forumites to listen to.

I've never really had to upload audio on the internet, so does anyone know an easy way we can take those road recordings and make them available for the Forum to listen to while we are on the road?
    Maybe with the right setup you can also live stream the audio. Yes it'll take more practice to do on the fly, but that makes it more fun right?

For connectivity, you can go with an LTE card through Verizon or Sprint.
    https://m.sprint.com/shop/mobile/shop/phone_details.jsp;jsessionidfe8=8E70E148F54D91BAD7 055D2603664462.mshop5?prodId=dvc7550006prd&deviceSKUId=75500188&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_mbc

https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/All_Phones/v/6655?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=6655&cmp=Google-PLA&zipRdr=y&cmp=Google-PLA

These are not that expensive up front but do require a data connection. I've used the sprint card for streaming live 720p video

As for getting stuff to the forum, having some sort of audio storage that you can link, maybe soundcloud?

Hope This all helps!

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Maybe with the right setup you can also live stream the audio. Yes it'll take more practice to do on the fly, but that makes it more fun right?

For connectivity, you can go with an LTE card through Verizon or Sprint.
    https://m.sprint.com/shop/mobile/shop/phone_details.jsp;jsessionidfe8=8E70E148F54D91BAD7 055D2603664462.mshop5?prodId=dvc7550006prd&deviceSKUId=75500188&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_mbc

https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/All_Phones/v/6655?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=6655&cmp=Google-PLA&zipRdr=y&cmp=Google-PLA

These are not that expensive up front but do require a data connection. I've used the sprint card for streaming live 720p video

As for getting stuff to the forum, having some sort of audio storage that you can link, maybe soundcloud?

Hope This all helps!
    There's some mighty fine ideas in there! Even if it does take us a while to get the setups etc right, we'll have plenty of time on the road to perfect the craft.

I'll put together some sort of album for the photos which I can upload straight onto the forum, and use soundcloud for the audio. As for archive videos, I'll use youtube, and live videos - I'll test out several areas such as Ustream perhaps
    Likes Litmaster liked this post
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by tonyhind86 View Post
    There's some mighty fine ideas in there! Even if it does take us a while to get the setups etc right, we'll have plenty of time on the road to perfect the craft.

I'll put together some sort of album for the photos which I can upload straight onto the forum, and use soundcloud for the audio. As for archive videos, I'll use youtube, and live videos - I'll test out several areas such as Ustream perhaps
    With Ustream you will get some annoying ads, but at least it's free. If I can think up some code that you can upstream to a site, i'll let you know.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    Copy/Pasta'd from the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by tonyhind86 View Post
    I'll have to do some research into on-the-road internet connectivity. I won't be able to use the networks on my phone and such the way they are now because they're all connected to the UK networks. If I can get a SIM card from the States that will work in my phone, that'll do nicely. Either that, or I'm pretty confident that we'll find some Wi-Fi hotspots en route.

Either way, our presence will be known on the interwebs and beyond.

And my youtube account is gonna be full of kick ass videos by the end of the trip
    Highlight one:

I would recommend going with T-Mobile. Their US plans are now contract free and a quick check of the interwebs tells me that they do operate in the UK. This is something that you could probably get set up easily before you leave. Also, if you happen to already be with T-Mobile, you might be in luck. Some of the US T-Mobile plans are already global plans by default at no extra charge, UK T-Mobile might have that too.

Highlight two:

Do you have a smartphone that's hotspot capable? If you can get item one sorted, your wi-fi accessibility is solved. Now, IF I get to go... my phone is hotspot capable and plan on using it. A lot. And allowing others to use it too... but don't count on me getting my act together.
    (I plan on temporarily getting the max data plan for the duration of the trip. (Probably that billing month.) I currently have "unlimited" which is 2.5GB unrestricted, then everything after is throttled.)

Highlight three:

I was thinking that we might want to get/start an official WA Convoy YouTube Channel, Twitter Feed, Tumblr, Instagram ect. Individual attendees will of course still upload to their social media of choice, but having (an) "official" channel(s) seems to make sense.
    Likes Litmaster liked this post
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast