User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post

Assuming that the implementation of this plan is on track, then it's reasonable to assume that it is at less than halfway toward its final goal during the time of the outbreak. However, in comparing the goals of the initiative to the power requirements of the colony, it seems likely that there will be enough solar powered resources available in California at least to support the power demands of the colony.
    I still think that the logistics of transporting the solar resources could be an issue depending on the size of the panels or the intricacy of the technology necessary to operate them, though domestic/privately-owned units could be more beneficial.
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredWiki AmateurLoved5000 Experience Points

Gamertag: skankyfish PSN ID: MrsFresh Steam ID: skankyfish Raptr ID: skankyfish
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhind86 View Post
    Between Glenn and Datu, they should be able to set something up. The main problem is, depending on their size, transporting them to the Colony and hoisting them to a high enough vantage point. I know that the panels people have on their homes here (I'm in the NE of England too!) are quite large and cumbersome - I imagine the ones attached to buildings in LA must be even bigger
    Yep, transport would be the biggest problem - I guess they're fairly fragile too? But then the guys trundle up around here with the panels in the back of transit vans, so if the colonists could just find something that size, or even a 7.5 tonner, that'd be a start. I don't think they'd have to be up particularly high either, just need a good open area with unobstructed sun from the south for as many hours a day as possible. And some way to actually collect/store/use the electricity, of course. That part would probably be even harder. But I have faith in King Datu the Resourceful!

EDIT: I'm in the toon too, we're probably referencing the very same panels here ^_^
    Likes tonyhind86 liked this post

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by skankyfish View Post
    EDIT: I'm in the toon too, we're probably referencing the very same panels here ^_^
    I believe we are referencing the same panels my fellow geordie companion :-)
    My thoughts regarding transporting the panels are based on the amount of obstacles on the roads between the colony and the 'collection points'. I'm not totally sure about their fragility, though I did drop a solar-powered calculator down the toilet and it still works OK ;-)
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

I like the Zombie treadmill idea!
    Gas them out, chain them to treadmills attached to generators and dangle so food in front of them. You could feed them table scraps, rotten food, road kill, mallers etc!
    It would be VERY "Shaun of the Dead" to end the series by turning zombies into domestic servants.

The survivors could get themselves in an unrecoverable fuel situation if they are not careful. If they use up all the local fuel they will not have enough fuel to go the distance to get more. They need to aggressively look for tankers that they can use to pump out gas stations. If they have to travel on foot, or horseback?, to get fuel they probably won't survive.

The real problem is that the survivors don't have a mechanical engineer, power is actually really easy IF you are not worried about pollution.

Get an old incenerator, a boiler and a steam turbine and you can make power with anything that burns, plastic has lots of energy but the exhaust fumes are pretty poisonous.

I believe I heard on the "Were Alive Fancast" Podcast the idea of making icehouses. You could actually travel to an energy source, like a gas station miles away and run generators to make blocks of ice that you truck back. It would take a quick experiment to see if 100 lbs of gasoline could make more or less than 100 lbs of ice. Move the fuel or the ice whichever more efficient.

Another option is to take propane powered refrigerators out of RV's These refrigerators have no moving parts and only use electricity to control the temperature.

Also the survivors need someone's grandmother to show them how to can fruits and vegetables.

Windmill have been used to pump water for hundreds of years, and there is actually a lot of farming done near LA so they should be able to steal one.

Other power sources are landfills. Landfills make natural gas for a long time. Most landfills just burn it off but they built a prison near me right next to a landfill because they use the natural gas to heat the prison. CNG Compressed Natural Gas is a pain to use as an truck fuel because the filling stations are huge and insanely expensive to compress it to 3600 psi, and it is still a gas. Propane is better because it converts to a liquid at around 130psi (at room tempurature). The problem with propane is that it does not occur naturally.
    Last edited by Duffusmonkey; Nov 30th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Likes Cabbage Patch, skankyfish liked this post
    LOOK AT MY AVATAR!!!!! I have a bottle of trioxin 245 in my hand and I am NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!!!!

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredWiki AmateurLoved5000 Experience Points

Gamertag: skankyfish PSN ID: MrsFresh Steam ID: skankyfish Raptr ID: skankyfish
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhind86 View Post
    I believe we are referencing the same panels my fellow geordie companion :-)
    My thoughts regarding transporting the panels are based on the amount of obstacles on the roads between the colony and the 'collection points'. I'm not totally sure about their fragility, though I did drop a solar-powered calculator down the toilet and it still works OK ;-)
    I hadn't considered obstacles... The collection vehicle would need to be accompanied (or preceded) by something like a hummer, I guess, to clear the roads. Someone needs to so some sums to see if the effort to get them is worth the payout - I suspect overwhelmingly yes.

I'm not a native Geordie, but after 10+ years here I hope I qualify as an adoptive one ;-)

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsWell LikedVeteran5000 Experience Points
    you know, i listened to monsters part 3 last night *** maybe spoilers ahead, i'll try not to***

i like what they did, i like the implimentation of solar power to run the gear box which powers the pump, which then generates power for the colony..... i like it a lot lets just hope it sticks and keeps working

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12