User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    It's times like this that real-world disaster scenarios in condensed cities really come to light. Not to say that it's not horrible, but can you imagine it being worse for longer? I recommend anyone who is considering preparing for bad things to read this: http://www.amazon.com/Life-As-We-Knew-It/dp/0152058265 ---- Not perfect and I have things that I would have changed about it, but it's a great perspective piece.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    It's times like this that real-world disaster scenarios in condensed cities really come to light. Not to say that it's not horrible, but can you imagine it being worse for longer? I recommend anyone who is considering preparing for bad things to read this: http://www.amazon.com/Life-As-We-Knew-It/dp/0152058265 ---- Not perfect and I have things that I would have changed about it, but it's a great perspective piece.
    Have you read "The Dead and The Gone" and "The World We Live In" read, too? "Life As We Know It" is book one of the "The Last Survivors Series" by Susan Beth Pfeffer ...

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

a lot of people hear "prepper" and think end of the world zombie apocalypse nuts, and while i think a good rousing zombie apocalypse would be fun, that's not what i'm prepared for (don't get me wrong, my preps would go a long way towards that). what i prepare for is the possibility of being without power, or water, or transport, dealing with looters, or a breakdown of social order. people like to think that "those things can't happen here" but when new orleans went through katrina, that's exactly what you saw: a breakdown of social order, people without neccesities (can't spell), etc. i encourage everyone to look at disasters in their area going back 100 years, and prepare for the most likely, and widen your preperations to include the less likely over time. but you shouldn't just look at natural disaster, you also have to look at personal disaster: loss of job, home fire, death in the family, your own unfortunate demise. how would those you love get by without you? how would you get by without them? taking a look at these questions doesn't make you a doonsday prepper, it makes you a realist, and an optimist, by saying considering how you would overcome these disasters.getting started is easy and can be down as simply as jotting down what food you go through in a week and picking up an extra can or two every time you go shopping, setting aside your daily coffe money into a piggy bank, then when the bank gets full dump it into an untouched savings account, brushing up on those old boyscout skills in case you ever find yourself having to do without. i just picked up a cast iron dutch oven for about sixty bucks, and it is quite possibly one of the most versatile pieces of cookware i've ever bought. you don't have to move into an underground bunker and by 10 AKs 10 ARs and 20,000 rounds of ammunition (though that may be cool) to be prepared, you just need to be aware.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    i actually have the all 3 audiobooks to this series. i listen to them before i found we're alive. really sad in the end. i wont give away anything though.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Marathon canceled amid increasing outrage from runners, and nyers. There was a lovely snarky press release and a lot of pissed off runners and relatives.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Scavenger"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Marathon canceled amid increasing outrage from runners, and nyers. There was a lovely snarky press release and a lot of pissed off runners and relatives.
    Thank God for that!

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    People need heat and lights before the the city needs a marathon.
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

I've yet to meet someone who lives in ny that looks forward to the marathon. It gets in our way, but hey...what's one day of inconvenience? Tolerable inconvenience every year.

Much different this year. I feel badly for the runners, I do. Many waited until the last moment to arrive, only to find out its canceled. That sucks. But I really feel like something awful may have happened if a bunch of runners jogged past destroyed homes on Staten Island, and poured drinkable water over their heads while the people there can't drink what their plumbing provides.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    [...] I feel badly for the runners, I do. Many waited until the last moment to arrive, only to find out its canceled. [...]
    It is somehow ironic that the term is hyperlinked to the article dealing with WA runners. Imagine how substancial the running time would decrease if WA were allowed to participate.

@Nikvoodoo: I hope that your situation will soon improve drastically.
    Pegs' pretty precious potato planter

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    too bad that all this had happened. somebody could have filmed the marathon runners and use Photoshop and after effects to create a zombie runners.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast