User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

New York, New York ...

I just saw the pictures and news about what's going on in this city after Sandy ... Glad to hear that besides all the damages done the number of fatalities is (still too big and yet) rather small.
    It's kinda funny to learn that besides all the trouble with electricity, telephone-networks, hospitals in bad shape, plenty of streets, buildings and facilities heavily damaged or destroyed ... that besides all of that one of the first news is that the stock-market will be online tomorrow again ... Kind of lol ... But hell, I guess that's New York, New York ... And the spirit to go.

To all WA fans at the East Coast of the US so far: I hope you are doin' fine and that Sandy ignored you to some degree.

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    trust me, it's no where near as bad as i'm sure it looks. i don't think much was destroyed in the way of actual buildings, though there was substantial flooding. regarding the stock market, that's kind of the guiding force behind the economy, that's a major priority.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Trust me, its as bad if not worse than it looks.

But what do I know. I'm just sitting here without power like 93% of long island and don't have a straight path to get anywhere because of downed trees and power lines. There are beach side roadways that are gone. The jettys that were used to build long beach are exposed. 110 homes burned to the ground in one area near the Rockaways.

Lets not forget the crippled mass transit system in and out of new york. Do you know the subway system was flooded as far north as at least 86th street? Alphabet city is devastated. There are subway stations still underwater.

That's just in nyc/long island. I could mention nj too, but I'm having to listen to the radio for news and I can only get the long island local station simulcast on fm.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Trust me, its as bad if not worse than it looks.

But what do I know. I'm just sitting here without power like 93% of long island and don't have a straight path to get anywhere because of downed trees and power lines. There are beach side roadways that are gone. The jettys that were used to build long beach are exposed. 110 homes burned to the ground in one area near the Rockaways.

Lets not forget the crippled mass transit system in and out of new york. Do you know the subway system was flooded as far north as at least 86th street? Alphabet city is devastated. There are subway stations still underwater.

That's just in nyc/long island. I could mention nj too, but I'm having to listen to the radio for news and I can only get the long island local station simulcast on fm.
    then how are you posting?

on a serious note, do you remember when that guy shot a coworker in front of the empire state building? the caseing hadn't even left the gun when plastered on every tv was "MASSACRE AT THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING" never mind that he had a personal vendetta against a single coworker. how many blocks past your neighborhood have you been? the media is all hype and new yorks is some ofthe worst. downed powerlines and trees? please, if you aren't picking your walls up and nailing them back in place with reused nails, it wasn't that bad. now that's not to say some areas won't be bad off, but let's hold off on the hype until the dust settles.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

I have cell service, and a smart phone.

So let me ask you: if you're not here, why should we trust your assessment of the situation?

You go ahead and think its hype all you want. Its not. next time some natural disaster sweeps through your area, I'm just going to sit up here and claim its all media hype and its not that bad.

Take the last word. I'm done using my cell phone juice on you.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    since you offered, i'll tell you exactly what my dad told me when a tornado took our house in texas: calm down, pick a piece of debris, sort it into trash or save, repeat. you're in new york, not fallujah, you went through a cat 1, not a war, it's really not that bad, trust me, you're still alive, you will recover.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved
    If I may interject, obviously from Nik's perspective the situation is tough since it's just out of his window; plus what he (and a colleague there) describes figures with what I see on the news, so at least it sounds as bad as it looks to me, and I personally would cut him some slack since it happened, like, yesterday.
    Obviously there's also hype and it could always be worse.

(you could be in Belgium, for example)

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

I wish everyone in NY and NJ and anywhere else where Scratch, er, SANDY wreaked havoc good luck and that life gets normal sooner then later. The media here in Germany is full of news especially about NY. And the pictures remind me halfway about what happened in Japan one and a half years back from now ... So, considering the odds the damage, especially to people, seems to be very small; and yet I wouldn't want to be at your place right now.

All the people working hard on re-establishing everything do a great job, I think. And I hope they earn themselves medals for this.

Bitchng around about who knows what and who experienced what* ... No idea if this helps a lot. I guess it is fair to assume that no one's wrong with how he or she sees or depicts the situation. And it is good to know that it could have been a lot worse - especially with the old-school nuclear power plants which had some trouble, too ... Not to mention all the other heavy industry no one is talking about right now ...

All the best!
    Liam

edit:
    P.S.: *Or do I misunderstand you guys???
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Oct 31st, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    At least none of the candidates tries to capitalize on Sandy's devastation.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...12/10/30/52648

I bet that Obama's actions follow the same approach.

Let's hope that everything will get back to normal sooner than later. Hopefully, there will not be more casualities. I keep my fingers crossed.
    Pegs' pretty precious potato planter

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA Points1 year registeredWell Liked10000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    since you offered, i'll tell you exactly what my dad told me when a tornado took our house in texas: calm down, pick a piece of debris, sort it into trash or save, repeat. you're in new york, not fallujah, you went through a cat 1, not a war, it's really not that bad, trust me, you're still alive, you will recover.
    The more 'built up' or industrial an area is, the more damage a natural disaster brings. New York is one of the most built up (and populated) cities in the world, which makes the damage from a disaster such as this even more devastating. Millions without a means of public transportation in a city that requires public transportation is a very bad thing.

Not being from New York, it's easy to present an argument from a Texas standpoint, but it is akin to making arguments about the economic and social woes of China without ever having been there. Different worlds my friend, different worlds.

Stay safe, Nikvoodoo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast