User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    What was wrong with "I am legend?"

Books:I used to be pretty high on the "Vampire Earth" series by E.E. Knight until the last book. Ewww! The Word&Void series by Terry Brooks is very good.

Movies: I actually liked "The Postman" with Kevin Costner, but i'll go with "Planet of the Apes"

TV series: Jericho was pretty good while it lasted.
    I'm comparing it to the book. I think that it didn't do it justice. The same with The Road. When I read that I could feel the cold and smell the soot in the air. And, The Postman was good. I don't know why it got such bad reviews and a low turnout.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurVeteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce's Boomstick View Post
    bvglee, i started reading Patriots, but I quit about 1/4th way through the book. Honestly its not that good. It is very very detailed, so much to the point where it inhibits the flow of the story. Its a very anti-government survivalist type of book. I was very dissappointed with the book, which sucks because the plot sounded interesting.
    Sorry, for ignoring your advice but last week I came across it and just finished..., not quite post-Apoc, but a survivalist how-to manual, disguised as a survival story.

As you may know, I am not in the US, and english is not my native language, but I am aware of the severe connotations of the term "Survivalism", that goes waaaaay beyond the preparations to "survive" an emergency. The story is interesting and entertaining, the advice in preparedness seems to be pretty reasonable, buuuut... the "survivalist" focus appeals more to Hardcore survivalist or at least tolerant people that can read an analyze without condemn it.

So I read it and that scratches it from the wishlist, I'm open to suggestions.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bvglee View Post
    Thanks for the advice (saves time, money and enthusiasm)
    Bvglee I have to disagree with Boomstick. Its a great book and not anti government at all. I have read once and listened to it once, most of my friends have read it and love it. Also if you want to read Alas Babylon which I loved check out One Second After.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    I don't know if anyone has seen the TV show "Jeremiah" It starred Luke Perry believe it or not. It was a pretty good show, Basicly its 15 years after a virus has killed anyone over the age of puberty. It was a great show and ran for 2 seasons. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the end of the world style

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew227598 View Post
    Bvglee I have to disagree with Boomstick. Its a great book and not anti government at all. I have read once and listened to it once, most of my friends have read it and love it. Also if you want to read Alas Babylon which I loved check out One Second After.
    mmmm, yes it is, the crisis is Government's fault (curiously that could actually happen), the UN part looked a little off proportion, (Blue helmets are not effective as a coercitive force in enforcing UN policies, dont' belive? ask the Rwandans or the Bosnians) and the aftermath sounds like a Survivalist wet dream, but the book is great.

I'll check the one U mention, Thanks

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bvglee View Post
    mmmm, yes it is, the crisis is Government's fault (curiously that could actually happen), the UN part looked a little off proportion, (Blue helmets are not effective as a coercitive force in enforcing UN policies, dont' belive? ask the Rwandans or the Bosnians) and the aftermath sounds like a Survivalist wet dream, but the book is great.

I'll check the one U mention, Thanks
    I guess calling it antigovernment depends on which side you are looking from, I am sure that the founding fathers of the US where considered antigovernment by the British loyalist. I guess it boils down to that old saying, History is written by the victor.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew227598 View Post
    I guess calling it antigovernment depends on which side you are looking from, I am sure that the founding fathers of the US where considered antigovernment by the British loyalist. I guess it boils down to that old saying, History is written by the victor.
    Yep like I read in another novel: "There is no excuse to rebel against your lawful authorities! ...unless you win."

Anyway, back to the thread, I got hold of "The Road" and started with it before watching the movie.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:

I found the dialog quote from James Calvell's "Shogun":

-There are no ‘mitigating circumstances’ when it comes to rebellion against a sovereign lord!
    -Unless you win.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12