User Tag List

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tillvictory View Post
    Speaking of putting words in other people's mouths: I never said that rape is not a big deal, and I never said that when you know a survivor having trouble coping you should tell them to get over it.

RECAP:

I said that I thought it was fucked up for Saul to say Lizzy getting raped was worse than her dying. (Chapter 20 Part 3 of 3- 14:17. I guess I remembered it wrong but the dialogue is "she could get bitten or attacked by some monster, but this is worse, Burt, this is way worse.")

Your response was that you agree; it would be better if she died because she wouldn't have to live with those memories forever.

My response was that just because you have been raped doesn't mean that you are going to be traumatized for the rest of your life and that a lot of people survive and recover and are happy, healthy individuals.

Your response was that other people don't.

I brought up PTSD to make the point that these people have already gone through horrific things that already put them at risk for the same things you brought up to support the claim that Lizzy is better off dead than raped.

Now you say you weren't saying that everyone who gets raped is going to struggle with suicide and self-harm forever, but you did say that you agree with Saul's sentiment that she would be better off dead... and if you believe that there is potential for her to be okay afterwards then why would you have said that?

That is all I'm saying. That for Saul to say it's worse for Lizzy to get raped than to die is fucked up, because she could get raped and be fine. Maybe she wouldn't be fine for a long time, or maybe ever (although that is unlikely). But she would be alive and the potential for her to be okay would exist. I am well aware of how psychological trauma affects people and that things like PTSD and depression cannot just be willed away or dealt with by "getting over it", but I am also well aware that they can be treated and worked through. In fact, the vast majority of people who experience sexual assault go on to have healthy, happy, productive lives - like I said in the very beginning. So the idea that it's better for someone to die than get raped... really is... fucked up.
    Cool recap.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    You're not a true forum member until you have had at least one back and forth with Osiris. Sometimes I sit and wonder, isOsiris the real life Mulder? or is he David Duchovney as Fox Mulder?
    STAND DOWN MAINTENANCE MAN!

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IamPaul View Post
    You're not a true forum member until you have had at least one back and forth with Osiris. Sometimes I sit and wonder, isOsiris the real life Mulder? or is he David Duchovney as Fox Mulder?
    "Fame costs, and right here is where you start payin'. "

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    So... just to clarify that recap... the words I put in your mouth were a logical deduction from the sequence of arguments you made.

And saying that rape victims aren't better off dead because they can heal and have fulfilling lives is a far cry from saying that rape isn't a big deal and people need to just buck up and get over it.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tillvictory View Post
    So... just to clarify that recap... the words I put in your mouth were a logical deduction from the sequence of arguments you made.

And saying that rape victims aren't better off dead because they can heal and have fulfilling lives is a far cry from saying that rape isn't a big deal and people need to just buck up and get over it.
    There's so badass. Totally not a deduction based on logic, rather based on inference. Still.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526