User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    "Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Fox News vs. mental stability

Since I have heard of Fox News, I could not belief that there is virtually anyone who watches this broadcasting network. Personally, I try to maintain a critical distance from the local media in Germany. But ... does anyone here believe a word that they say?

The reason I post this is the following blatantly false statement:

Fox News Claims Solar Won't Work in America Because It's Not Sunny Like Germany

Simply, this it utter crap. A good democracy needs good journalists. Well, how silly of me, it's a broadcasting network for Republicans! (We call them Bavarians here in Germany)

Reagan's finest: Funny things to say during the Cold War
    Nixon's finest: madman theory
    Likes Osiris, HardKor liked this post

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    Since I have heard of Fox News, I could not belief that there is virtually anyone who watches this broadcasting network. Personally, I try to maintain a critical distance from the local media in Germany. But ... does anyone here believe a word that they say?

The reason I post this is the following blatantly false statement:

Fox News Claims Solar Won't Work in America Because It's Not Sunny Like Germany

Simply, this it utter crap. A good democracy needs good journalists. Well, how silly of me, it's a broadcasting network for Republicans! (We call them Bavarians here in Germany)

Reagan's finest: Funny things to say during the Cold War
    Nixon's finest: madman theory
    There are several things I wanted to say in response, none of which are meant to be critical of you, just informative of the situation in the US that makes Fox News such a big deal.

The first thing that is important to note is that Fox News is a big operation, and includes news programs, commentary programs and entertainment programs. The program that you reference here falls squarely in the entertainment category. It's on in the early morning and mostly watched by people getting ready to go to work, focusing on fluff and only glossing over hard news. The host that's referenced, Gretchen Carlson, isn't a hard news person, she's most famous for once having been Miss America (though she did graduate from Stanford and Oxford).

Second, your source is questionable. You are not going to get fair, or balanced reporting from Slate, one of the most Left-Wing publications in America. And their primary source, Media Matters for America, is a Left-Wing group that exists solely to defame and ridicule Fox News. The combination can be extraordinarily ugly and unfair; this article is possibly the sanest thing I've seen from the two in the last 8 years.

Third, we have a real problem with news media in America. Prior to Fox News we had a serious monochrome media, All-Left-of-Center-All-the-Time. Imagine all German media, TV and print, being run by the left-wing of the SDP. When Fox News arrived it was a breath of fresh air because it presented viewpoints that a lot of people held, but that were NEVER reported. That's the main reason why Fox News dominates the US news media today, with the lowest rated Fox Program (that airs at 3am Eastern Time) garners higher ratings than the top-rated prime time programs on either the more centrist news network CNN, or far-left news network MSNBC.

BTW, the entire US experiment in public investment in solar energy could have learned a lot from the German experience. Ours has been an utter fiasco, with billions of dollars going to friends and donors of the ruling party and very little to show for it. The place in the US that definitely has less sunshine than Germany is Washington DC, where all these sweetheart deals were made. Deals that only Fox News bothers to report about, and groups like Slate and Media Matters are desperately trying to keep quiet.
    Likes LiamKerrington, scbubba liked this post

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

About Fox News - or American News Service in general - I am highly "onionated" and am far from being opinionated ...

http://www.theonion.com

That is all I can say about US-media; anything else would be just highly prejudiced, plain stupid, and would probably lack a solid base required for any 'good' opinion.

As for Germany's media: The printmedia is dominated by leftys and/ or the political party of the SPD - that'S true; but there are the Springer Press as well as the quite conservative and comparably broadly accepted newspaper of the FAZ, which provide no 'lefty' mambo jambo; besides the print-media any other media is very diverse in its political, social, and economical agenda. And actually I would expect the overall US-American media-landscape to be similarly diverse considering the 50 states and the US as a nation with its many, many different faces.

Regardless of that I just want to point out: It is kind of 'hard' to generalize the quality of any news-service based on single and extraordinarily bad articles or news provided by the news-service.

My 2c.
    All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    i've had a rough morning, so i'm going to ignore this... for now.
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    Why do I hear ominous pipe organ music in my head when I read this....

Looking forward to your post, reaper239.
    Likes LiamKerrington liked this post
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    That being said, it says 'all', doesn't it?
    I hope your day was not as bad as your morning, Sir.

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    There are several things I wanted to say in response, none of which are meant to be critical of you, just informative of the situation in the US that makes Fox News such a big deal.

The first thing that is important to note is that Fox News is a big operation, and includes news programs, commentary programs and entertainment programs. The program that you reference here falls squarely in the entertainment category. It's on in the early morning and mostly watched by people getting ready to go to work, focusing on fluff and only glossing over hard news. The host that's referenced, Gretchen Carlson, isn't a hard news person, she's most famous for once having been Miss America (though she did graduate from Stanford and Oxford).

Second, your source is questionable. You are not going to get fair, or balanced reporting from Slate, one of the most Left-Wing publications in America. And their primary source, Media Matters for America, is a Left-Wing group that exists solely to defame and ridicule Fox News. The combination can be extraordinarily ugly and unfair; this article is possibly the sanest thing I've seen from the two in the last 8 years.

Third, we have a real problem with news media in America. Prior to Fox News we had a serious monochrome media, All-Left-of-Center-All-the-Time. Imagine all German media, TV and print, being run by the left-wing of the SDP. When Fox News arrived it was a breath of fresh air because it presented viewpoints that a lot of people held, but that were NEVER reported. That's the main reason why Fox News dominates the US news media today, with the lowest rated Fox Program (that airs at 3am Eastern Time) garners higher ratings than the top-rated prime time programs on either the more centrist news network CNN, or far-left news network MSNBC.

BTW, the entire US experiment in public investment in solar energy could have learned a lot from the German experience. Ours has been an utter fiasco, with billions of dollars going to friends and donors of the ruling party and very little to show for it. The place in the US that definitely has less sunshine than Germany is Washington DC, where all these sweetheart deals were made. Deals that only Fox News bothers to report about, and groups like Slate and Media Matters are desperately trying to keep quiet.
    Yeah, I see your point. Fox is some sort of a lighthouse example for so-called biased, tendentious journalism. I am neither a leftie or rightie, I just do not like bad journalism, whether it appears in the U.S., Europe or elsewhere in the world. However, if someone states long enough that Germany is sunnier than large parts of the U.S., it is likely to become the public option.

What a single sentence can do..

Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    About Fox News - or American News Service in general - I am highly "onionated" and am far from being opinionated ...

http://www.theonion.com

That is all I can say about US-media; anything else would be just highly prejudiced, plain stupid, and would probably lack a solid base required for any 'good' opinion.

As for Germany's media: The printmedia is dominated by leftys and/ or the political party of the SPD - that'S true; but there are the Springer Press as well as the quite conservative and comparably broadly accepted newspaper of the FAZ, which provide no 'lefty' mambo jambo; besides the print-media any other media is very diverse in its political, social, and economical agenda. And actually I would expect the overall US-American media-landscape to be similarly diverse considering the 50 states and the US as a nation with its many, many different faces.

Regardless of that I just want to point out: It is kind of 'hard' to generalize the quality of any news-service based on single and extraordinarily bad articles or news provided by the news-service.

My 2c.
    All the best!
    Liam
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    That being said, it says 'all', doesn't it?
    I hope your day was not as bad as your morning, Sir.

All the best!
    Liam
    The SPD, what a comedy group. Sadly.
    Likes Cabbage Patch liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I see your point. Fox is some sort of a lighthouse example for so-called biased, tendentious journalism. I am neither a leftie or rightie, I just do not like bad journalism, whether it appears in the U.S., Europe or elsewhere in the world. However, if someone states long enough that Germany is sunnier than large parts of the U.S., it is likely to become the public option.

What a single sentence can do..

The SPD, what a comedy group. Sadly.
    I'd just like to take a moment here and say, "Kudos for use of 'tendentious.' " Well played.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Besides, it is true (not meant in a satirical/ironical/cynical way), we Europeans do not know much about the U.S. domestic Policy topics.

And we would/could not take guns to our parliaments.

Source: http://oregonianphoto.tumblr.com/pos...jacob-kalmbach

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Besides, it is true (not meant in a satirical/ironical/cynical way), we Europeans do not know much about the U.S. domestic Policy topics.

And we would/could not take guns to our parliaments.

Source: http://oregonianphoto.tumblr.com/pos...jacob-kalmbach
    why not? they aren't hurting anybody? i understand that in europe that's ilegal (i don't mean that all of europe is the same, but i'm pretty sure that's not allowed anywhere) but why should it be?who's rights are they violating? their clearly there for the sole purpose of making a visible protest, who is actually afraid here? i doubt if they were going to cause any harm they would be standing there taking pictures and posing for the camera.

regarding fox news: fox news is the most watched news program in the united states http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...4-2013/169564/. the reason is that, while fox news does lean slightly right, the other networks are so far left, they don't even try to hide it anymore. the other "news" agencies cover up stories, misrepresent stories, report out right lies, and the people are tired of it.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast