User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airrunner View Post
    I just started listening to this new radio drama-styled podcast called "The Message." Anyone else heard of it? It's about a team of decoders trying to interpret a possible extraterrestrial transmission. I don't know if it's any good but the main narrator sounds like Constance Parng, which makes me like it immediately. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, sorry I have been away from the Forum so long. Life gets busy. Miss you all and I can't wait for Lockdown.

--Eric (Airrunner)
    I literally just finished listening to the introduction episode. Sounds interesting. Totally looking forward to getting into it. Shouldn't take long... 8 episodes and all...
    joint-point-counter-joint

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Also, I'd recommend listening to Hide Over There.

Likes turbo liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Okay I'm almost caught up to where "The Message" is currently. This is definitely something for you all to listen to while filling up the time until Lockdown. It's basically a sci fi drama, but with some horror elements to it. Much of what made We're Alive so strong (the acting, the sound effects, the twists, the unfolding mystery, ushering things to a cliffhanger at the end of each episode) are in The Message as well. The Message does add this conceit to it, the audience is part of the story, because the narrator is podcasting about what she's seeing and there is reference to the impact her podcast is having on the audience. It would be as if at the end of We're Alive we found out that Michael has been talking into a tape recorder all this time and we the audience were hearing what he said.

The Message pacing is much faster than We're Alive. That might just be the constraints placed on it by the producers (they may have a set amount of episodes in which to tell the story). I think I prefer Kc's pacing in We're Alive. As a result there's less character development, so at times I can't tell who is talking and I don't necessarily have a strong sense of who each person is. It makes me appreciate Kc's writing a lot. He really does a great job of fleshing out his characters so that you end up caring about them. Also the faster pacing means reveals happen faster and thus don't quite have the same emotional impact on me as those slow build moments Kc put into his show. For instance, that first time I heard the sound of a Big One at the water works... whoa. It still sends chills running down my spine and it took many episodes (I think almost half the first season) to get there.

Anyway, I recommend The Message to listen to!

--Eric

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post

will check it out!
    Likes Osiris liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

I am listening to some classics (that I never knew about until recently) Dimension X and X-minus One. I am doing it out of order. I guess Dimension X came first and is supposed to be the better of the two but.......... X-Minus One has had some great short stories from now very famous Sci-fi writers..........

Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA Points10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Gamertag: XtremeRSR PSN ID: SenatorX
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Thanks buddy

I recommend The 5 Dollar Bin, they do movie reviews. And TED Radio Hour.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked500 Experience Points3 months registered

Steam ID: bluestarred
    Listening to World War Z on my runs. It's well-done but not nearly as absorbing as WA. Some parts I space out during- NOT possible listening to WA.

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    The Leviathan Chronicles is an amazing podcast,
    and the closest to WA in overall sound quality I've found on the iTunes podcast feed, it's definitely worth your time! Unfortunately the last episodes were released back in 2013 (with 12 episodes or so left of the story) so it's a bit incomplete but the story is still amazing up to that point nonetheless!

The NoSleep Podcast has some really good horror fiction stories from Reddit's NoSleep forum that are fully voice acted with incredible music and ambience that is a really great, very high quality podcast (with almost 6 full 25 episode seasons of back catalogue for tons of hours of listening!)

I also enjoyed J.C. Hutchins "7th Son" trilogy of podiobooks, all for free on iTunes podcasts app. Honestly it took me a few episodes to really start to enjoy it (mainly because it's the author just reading his audiobooks, no music; minor voice acting by him and no foley work) so it's far inferior to WA or Leviathan in terms of "cinematic" quality but the story itself was very well written and after a few episodes it became so engaging I couldn't wait to find out what happened next for each episode!

The Truth podcast (free on iTunes) produces short stories that are of arguably the same quality as We're Alive in terms of audio quality, with paid voice actors and great foley work/editing and score. However, all the stories on The Truth are short stories with no interconnectivity, so if that's a turn off for you it might not be as enjoyable but the quality is definitely there!

Those are the best suggestions I have for you (or anyone) to listen to for good podcasts that even come close to We're Alive! Honestly though, I'm not sure there will ever be another We're Alive in the same way there will never be another Avatar: The Last Airbender. The original is such a complete masterpiece that so outclasses everything else in it's category that only the creators can come up with something even close to it, but we just have to settle for the lesser rabble until then.

I hope these help you pass some time listening to great podcasts, from one WA fan to another!
    Last edited by Lou Sanus; Jan 26th, 2016 at 09:31 PM.
    Likes turbo, bluestarred liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved10000 Experience PointsVeteran

The Black Tapes

Tanis

Limetown

All of these are really great with really good quality!

Have fun!
    Likes Gnex, turbo, Osiris liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1000 Experience Points3 months registered

The Bright Sessions. It's a different take on the audio drama. Think overhearing the TV show Heroes characters visiting their shrink. Interesting way to avoid the need for narration.
    Likes Osiris liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast