PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 36- Scorched Earth

Pages : 1 [2]

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I just want to throw in that was worth staying until 12:30 on a work night to listen to this finale!!! I am SO happy Burt survived it all.... El Matador has re established himself as my favorite!!!! Will be waiting on pins and needles for season 4!!!! At least I have The Hobbit to start obsessing over this month. Great Job, and thank you again for such a great story!!!

I only want to add one thing after listening for the 5th time: the music was so awesome, truly epic and wonderful.

Witch_Doctor
Dec 8th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I think Arrowhead deserves props for his/her performance. There was an interesting contrast between rooting for the hero and feeling a bit sorry for the monster.
Hey, wasn't Grendel's arm torn off before he died too?

UndeadSweeper
Dec 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I think Arrowhead deserves props for his/her performance. There was an interesting contrast between rooting for the hero and feeling a bit sorry for the monster.

Yea, those were great sound effects. But was eerie that his creator just stood by and watched this happen. As if he was just taking notes.

HardKor
Dec 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I suspect they'll abandon the Colony as unsafe and move to CJ's tower in LA. They don't need the extra space provided by the Colony anyway, and the move is consistent with Michael's desire to get on the offensive. I'm sure CJ has a ton more weapons stashed as well, so they'll be good on that front. No idea where they could park the helicopters to keep them safe though. Maybe just a random nowhere location. They'll need to secure fuel for the helicopters as well.

My guess would be that they'll stay at the Colony. Remember it's not just the main characters there. There's also a few dozen colonists too. Plus all the equipment, supplies, and vehicles at the Colony not to mention at least one helicopter, maybe two if the Blackhawk from Irwin makes it there intact. I know Dunbar's a pretty big place, and CJ apparently had at least 31 people living there before, but the Colony has more room to serve as a base for whatever offensive Michael's planning. The only downside is that it's pretty far from downtown L.A. but that might work in their favor if they can keep the zeds busy fighting in L.A. and keep the Colony as a safe base of operations.

LiamKerrington
Dec 9th, 2012, 01:47 AM
My guess would be that they'll stay at the Colony. Remember it's not just the main characters there. There's also a few dozen colonists too. Plus all the equipment, supplies, and vehicles at the Colony not to mention at least one helicopter, maybe two if the Blackhawk from Irwin makes it there intact. I know Dunbar's a pretty big place, and CJ apparently had at least 31 people living there before, but the Colony has more room to serve as a base for whatever offensive Michael's planning. The only downside is that it's pretty far from downtown L.A. but that might work in their favor if they can keep the zeds busy fighting in L.A. and keep the Colony as a safe base of operations.

Makes a lot of sense.
CJ's Tower would be a good place, though, for a small reconnaissance-team or something, wouldn't it? And even if not - if The Colony remains the place to survive in, then one of the first things to do would be to collect all the important stuff from her place.
Something in the back of my heads asks for this: Scratch and Mad-Maxian-Mallers might have set up camp in CJ'S Tower ... Wouldn't this be nice?
(Am just toying around with ideas ... At the moment I don't feel like predicting things.)

All the best!
Liam

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 9th, 2012, 03:33 AM
First things first. The walls and gates of the colony have to be mended and reinforced in the first place. The water truck supply runs need to be resumed as well. However, I am really looking forward to a information roundup of all the things that have happened from the end of season 2 onwards.

Besides, it would be pretty coincidental if Scratch and Tardust set up camp at Dunbar. I fear the worst for Tardust. Scratch constantly needed someone in the past to - uuhhhmmm - reduce her feelings of aggression. So there might be a lot of bruises for Tardust on this cruise...

scbubba
Dec 9th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Grendel did indeed have his arm ripped off in a wrestling match with Beowulf. This resulted in his death as well.

Interesting thing about Grendel, he and his mother are described in the poem "Beowulf" as being descendants of Cain from the Bible. And we have Cain Hospital being a place that somebody seems to be using as a place to make/evolve new creatures like Arrowhead.

Hmmmm......

scbubba
Dec 9th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Even if they don't end up relocating to Dunbar, I imagine that they could make real good use of CJ's safe houses. She seemed to have a bunch of those around LA. Would come in pretty handy for guerilla warfare against the Zeds.

Cabbage Patch
Dec 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Even if they don't end up relocating to Dunbar, I imagine that they could make real good use of CJ's safe houses. She seemed to have a bunch of those around LA. Would come in pretty handy for guerilla warfare against the Zeds.

So will her secure police radio network. It's almost as if CJ was planning for the coming battle against Pinstripes.

HardKor
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
So will her secure police radio network. It's almost as if CJ was planning for the coming battle against Pinstripes.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she was. At least before Dunbar fell.
Now I just wonder how well CJs going to deal with working with Michael. You just know there's going to be some butting heads there. Might get pretty interesting.

Slim FiTT
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Now I dont know if anybody has said this and I'm not going to go through 26 pages to see. But I find find it strange that when they did role call in the colony they didn't notice that Glen and Pete were missing. I think that one or both of them are working for Scratch. Am I crazy or does anybody else think this.

Witch_Doctor
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she was. At least before Dunbar fell.
Now I just wonder how well CJs going to deal with working with Michael. You just know there's going to be some butting heads there. Might get pretty interesting.

Heck! From the looks of this story, CJ was planning for the zombie apocalypse since Y2K. If she had enough blind folds and faulty scuba tanks she just might reveal to everyone her hidden converted-missile-silo bunker complete with thorium reactor.

lr42186
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM
and like I said earlier this year, the baby will be named after CJ ... what if they name him Conor John! And, and, and send him back in time! To stop Randy and Ink from doing this! And he uses the alias of Todd! oh man that'd be a Shamylan worthy twist.

I don't recall them ever going back to check on him either ha.

No, no... His alias instead is... Michael Cross!

Think about it - tries to keep to himself at nearly all costs, avoids even mentioning his parents as much possible

Robzombie
Dec 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Now I dont know if anybody has said this and I'm not going to go through 26 pages to see. But I find find it strange that when they did role call in the colony they didn't notice that Glen and Pete were missing. I think that one or both of them are working for Scratch. Am I crazy or does anybody else think this.

I'm pretty sure they showed up there for roll call. They did leave and Victor was by himself, then after comms with Saul he left to go and listen in.
Edit: -oh, haha...total brain fart...For some reason when you said Glen and Pete I was thinking gatekeeper and shovel face...nevermind, I was asleep at the keyboard.

Osiris
Dec 9th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I leave this thread for 8 minutes... when I come back the first post I see is Superman flying back through time to save Lois. What the fuck...

LiamKerrington
Dec 10th, 2012, 01:04 AM
- Roll Call: Glenn and Pete left the Colony way earlier; thus their missing was very likely confirmed earlier and simply did not matter anymore. We speak of something like a week to ten days that...

Bullethead
Dec 10th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Something in the back of my heads asks for this: Scratch and Mad-Maxian-Mallers might have set up camp in CJ'S Tower ... Wouldn't this be nice?

I second this, this is truley the only place they can run too. There may be a chance they go back to the strip mall (doubt it). May be a chance they go to the adjacent tower from our heroes original (doubt it). It has to be CJ's tower...Way to go again Kolani.

scbubba
Dec 10th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I second this, this is truley the only place they can run too. There may be a chance they go back to the strip mall (doubt it). May be a chance they go to the adjacent tower from our heroes original (doubt it). It has to be CJ's tower...Way to go again Kolani.

Does Scratch even know where it is? I mean, the Mallers may have stumbled across it but I don't recall that Kalani knew the exact location of it and LA is kinda big with lots of buildings that tend to look the same.

It brings up the question of how CJ would have left it. Did she booby trap it? Set up remote alarms like at the garden that Saul and Victor found? Hmmm....

Bullethead
Dec 10th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Woot 100th post!

Does Scratch even know where it is? I mean, the Mallers may have stumbled across it but I don't recall that Kalani knew the exact location of it and LA is kinda big with lots of buildings that tend to look the same.

It brings up the question of how CJ would have left it. Did she booby trap it? Set up remote alarms like at the garden that Saul and Victor found? Hmmm....

Good call, without going back to listen to Kolani's betrayal I think he mentioned its round about location didn't he? Regardless as the story sits now it is the only place she could go. Simply write in that they stumbled across it like you said. And I am certain CJ left a booby trap but we know Scratch will have rounded up a straggler or two and they'll be wearing the infamous "red shirt" while trying to enter it.

LiamKerrington
Dec 10th, 2012, 06:11 AM

Very good call. When they sent Kalani, they did not know the exact location of CJ's Tower; but since then a lot of time has passed. Maybe they had the chance to get information. But this is kind of a wild card-solution.
More likely would it be that Scratch and guys accidentaly stumble over a safe-house anywhere in the place.
And the likelihood rises if 'we' consider The Mall, actually, or any other deserted place as the new hideout of Scratch and gang.

About booby-trap: I give it a 100% chance. Back then CJ was still in full control of her mind.

UndeadSweeper
Dec 10th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Very good call. When they sent Kalani, they did not know the exact location of CJ's Tower; but since then a lot of time has passed. Maybe they had the chance to get information. But this is kind of a wild card-solution.
More likely would it be that Scratch and guys accidentaly stumble over a safe-house anywhere in the place.
And the likelihood rises if 'we' consider The Mall, actually, or any other deserted place as the new hideout of Scratch and gang.

About booby-trap: I give it a 100% chance. Back then CJ was still in full control of her mind.

The only person we should be worry about know the locate is Pinstripe. He been there before.

The Mallers find it is highly unlikely and not like Durbar is a fully operationally battle-station. Even so by the time CJ get near enough to her building I believe she noticed "it's trap" before they step to the building.

scbubba
Dec 10th, 2012, 07:30 AM
The only person we should be worry about know the locate is Pinstripe. He been there before.

The Mallers find it is highly unlikely and not like Durbar is a fully operationally battle-station. Even so by the time CJ get near enough to her building I believe she noticed "it's trap" before they step to the building.

I'm with you UndeadSweeper. I'm more in thinking Pinstripes would be the one to worry about targeting/occupying Dunbar. He's got, it seems, a goodly supply of eyes and ears in the LA area (see also: how Pinstripes got to the Colony).

After the arena, I wonder if he went looking for another place to keep his horde entertained and fed? I'm not sure Dunbar would be that place...

So, I think our heroes go back to Dunbar, get what they need, but for some reason or another, don't "occupy" it. Perhaps they use it as the bait in a big Zed killing trap.

Privateer
Dec 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm very late in listening to this episode. Part of me maybe didn't have the energy to deal with the ever increasing dark tone, and it was an hour and oh god I made a horrible mistake that was epiiiiiiiiiic!

The humor, the action, Riley being a badass, Burt answering an unspoken challenge and being a bigger badass. DARING HELICOPTOR RESCUE. Thank you we're alive team. Thank you. That could have only been more awesome if the bird had been playing death metal.

Winston
Dec 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Excellent season finale! I was genuinely nervous as Burt was taking on the Behemoth. I thought Burt was going down to save the Colony and not, as I hope, taking out Scratch. I find it interesting the only person really doing narration is Saul. Saul & Tanya are definitely immune. I think that's why "Randy" was carrying Tanya off. Would Michael really have called Randy's name if he thought there would be a response? If Randy was turned at the Water Works and Michael knew this, wouldn't Michael have just shot at him? Someone posited the idea that there are two factions of biters out there and Randy is the leader of one of them. I'll back this hypothesis. Randy is a "sentient" biter and this is how we will learn how this whole mess came about. Randy was taking away Tanya so she could work for him and maybe find a cure. The "Little One" that attacked Victor and Saul didn't have numbers right? Maybe two separate batches of little ones? The ones with numbers indicate they were the "initial" experiments, maybe created by mad scientist Randy? The others created by Pinstripes who doesn't care about science so wouldn't bother to number them. I think it was Randy's group that attacked Irwin because Pinstripes was busy at the Colony. Tanya and Saul are the key to all of this, IMHO. Can't wait for season 4!

Hoff4D
Dec 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Woot 100th post!

Good call, without going back to listen to Kolani's betrayal I think he mentioned its round about location didn't he? Regardless as the story sits now it is the only place she could go. Simply write in that they stumbled across it like you said. And I am certain CJ left a booby trap but we know Scratch will have rounded up a straggler or two and they'll be wearing the infamous "red shirt" while trying to enter it.

Kalani was blindfolded when brought into Dunbar, and not trusted with anything above remedial tasks for days...then Ink showed up and SHTF. Kalani's only communication to scratch whilst in this tower, or even about this tower was pretty much "Better start running" from scratch when it was over run. Kalani had no information TO give about Dunbar, and based on his backstory if he did, he would've given it to our tower as information, since he had no allegiances to be held either way. So I really don't think he gave ANY clues to Scratch about it's whereabouts. I'm not saying Scratch won't find it, because she can, but it wouldn't be at the aid of Kalani in my opinion

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Kalani was blindfolded when brought into Dunbar, and not trusted with anything above remedial tasks for days...then Ink showed up and SHTF. Kalani's only communication to scratch whilst in this tower, or even about this tower was pretty much "Better start running" from scratch when it was over run. Kalani had no information TO give about Dunbar, and based on his backstory if he did, he would've given it to our tower as information, since he had no allegiances to be held either way. So I really don't think he gave ANY clues to Scratch about it's whereabouts. I'm not saying Scratch won't find it, because she can, but it wouldn't be at the aid of Kalani in my opinion

That sums it up pretty well. Remember, Kalani sounded very desperate while communicating with Scratch over the CB.

Latch: "What happened, what's going on?"
Kalani: "They are done! Those things are inside. Everyone is dying."
Latch: "Where?"
Kalani: "I don't know exactly, I couldn't find out."
Latch: "You ... what?"
Kalani: "You wanted me to tell you what I know, I'm telling you they are done."
Scratch: (soooo lovely) "Sorry, that is not enough."

... Kalani exits Dunbar: "I ran as fast as I could - which wasn't that quick. Less than a block or two away from me, something knocked me down to the ground and hit me several times from behind on the back of the head. Everything went black."

So, there was hardly any useful information given to the mallers...

UndeadSweeper
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Excellent season finale! I was genuinely nervous as Burt was taking on the Behemoth. I thought Burt was going down to save the Colony and not, as I hope, taking out Scratch. I find it interesting the only person really doing narration is Saul. Saul & Tanya are definitely immune. I think that's why "Randy" was carrying Tanya off. Would Michael really have called Randy's name if he thought there would be a response? If Randy was turned at the Water Works and Michael knew this, wouldn't Michael have just shot at him? Someone posited the idea that there are two factions of biters out there and Randy is the leader of one of them. I'll back this hypothesis. Randy is a "sentient" biter and this is how we will learn how this whole mess came about. Randy was taking away Tanya so she could work for him and maybe find a cure. The "Little One" that attacked Victor and Saul didn't have numbers right? Maybe two separate batches of little ones? The ones with numbers indicate they were the "initial" experiments, maybe created by mad scientist Randy? The others created by Pinstripes who doesn't care about science so wouldn't bother to number them. I think it was Randy's group that attacked Irwin because Pinstripes was busy at the Colony. Tanya and Saul are the key to all of this, IMHO. Can't wait for season 4!

Good point, also bring us back to another question? How can Randy tell who a non-turner? Is it smell?

Hoff4D
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Start yet another re-listen to the entire series, and going along with Kc's advice of "Those who go back and listen to the details will see a lot more in season 4" or something along those lines.....In chapter 1 part 2, They see the commander-zombie "Just standing there.....like he's information"....I believe that's what they say. Just want to put another notch in the "smarter in life, smarter in death" theme that's shown itself so many times. I'm sure this exact phrase has probably been brought up before, just thought it would be a nice place to bring it back up for anyone else also interested in going through another re-listen.

Witch_Doctor
Dec 10th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I leave this thread for 8 minutes... when I come back the first post I see is Superman flying back through time to save Lois. What the fuck...

My bad. You know better than to leave me alone to watch the kids.:o

nikvoodoo
Dec 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
The "Little One" that attacked Victor and Saul didn't have numbers right? Maybe two separate batches of little ones? The ones with numbers indicate they were the "initial" experiments, maybe created by mad scientist Randy? The others created by Pinstripes who doesn't care about science so wouldn't bother to number them. I think it was Randy's group that attacked Irwin because Pinstripes was busy at the Colony. Tanya and Saul are the key to all of this, IMHO. Can't wait for season 4!

The one that attacked Victor and Saul in the finale didn't have a number because Bricks ripped it's arm off from the elbow in Season 2.

And Randy was seen within 24 hours of the attack on the Colony and Irwin near the Colony. It's not likely he could make it to Irwin in that amount of time considering the basically impassable roads. Even if he's a super zombie he's going to have to travel a long way on foot before reaching Irwin.

scbubba
Dec 10th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure the attack on Fort Irwin was one of opportunity. The chance that pinstripes or randy would have figured a recon team would come in, plan to get an operative on the helo outbid town, turn some helpers into Zeds, and attack the base seems too remote.

Instead, the maker of the little ones probably set them up to be on the lookout for humans and decide some how or another when to kill and when to turn them. The LO's have some way to determine when to carry out an attack vs when to wait. The one on the helo out of LA waited a while before making its move and taking them down. And some number of the turned in Boulder held out long enough to get closer to Fort Irwin.

For the ones that weren't made directly by "maker", I wonder what drives them and how much decision capabilities they have...

Like Burt said, "I'm a pretty good shot when they're just running at you mindlessly. But..."

Winston
Dec 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
The one that attacked Victor and Saul in the finale didn't have a number because Bricks ripped it's arm off from the elbow in Season 2.

And Randy was seen within 24 hours of the attack on the Colony and Irwin near the Colony. It's not likely he could make it to Irwin in that amount of time considering the basically impassable roads. Even if he's a super zombie he's going to have to travel a long way on foot before reaching Irwin.

Are you sure about that little one? I'll have to re-listen. I remember Victor mentioning it not having a number, but not missing an arm. In fact I think he says "This one doesn't have a number like the others." And I didn't recall that about Randy. Was that in the previous chapter? Wow did I miss some things.

lectio
Dec 10th, 2012, 08:48 PM
What an awesome season finale...thank you, KC!

scbubba
Dec 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Are you sure about that little one? I'll have to re-listen. I remember Victor mentioning it not having a number, but not missing an arm. In fact I think he says "This one doesn't have a number like the others." And I didn't recall that about Randy. Was that in the previous chapter? Wow did I miss some things.

In chapter 36, when they first look out and see the 9 Little Ones standing at the back of the pack the comment is made about the one without a number missing half an arm. It's before Burt takes down big Mr Arrowhead...

werewolf
Dec 10th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I said this before and Ill say it again. Micheal narrative in the beginning of season one. Sounds like hes about to go to trail for court marshal. He abandon his post when a higher ranking office said to stay. Even though he did this to save people. whether or not the military will peruse it, since there is barely a military left. we wont know until the end of the series.

should this be in the story theories ?

LiamKerrington
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I suspect they'll abandon the Colony as unsafe and move to CJ's tower in LA. They don't need the extra space provided by the Colony anyway, and the move is consistent with Michael's desire to get on the offensive. I'm sure CJ has a ton more weapons stashed as well, so they'll be good on that front. No idea where they could park the helicopters to keep them safe though. Maybe just a random nowhere location. They'll need to secure fuel for the helicopters as well.

Yesterday something came to my mind, which comes near to what you have written there.

I don't think the Survivors will abandon The Colony - because of the ressources and the logistics there. But in #36 they have realized that them zeehs come to where the big numbers are. So splitting up might be a good means to keep low numbers; the 'network' of safehouses and police-radio, which was set up by CJ, might come in handy for this.

The flaw of this theory: This would make the Survivors a lot more vulnerable - especially in situations where huge numbers are important!

Witch_Doctor
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:29 PM

Saul narrates that Victor is attacked by the one with the missing arm. After he kills it and the helicopter lands, a colonist asks if they should burm it. Puck states that it doesn't have a number, but Lizzie says that it did at one point, refering to the time right before Bricks ripped its arm off during the ambush on the Mallers.

I said this before and Ill say it again. Micheal narrative in the beginning of season one. Sounds like hes about to go to trail for court marshal. He abandon his post when a higher ranking office said to stay. Even though he did this to save people. whether or not the military will peruse it, since there is barely a military left. we wont know until the end of the series.
should this be in the story theories ?

Micheal clearly states that he is writing this '...not for anyone to read, but for my own sanity.'

clem131
Dec 11th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I listened late to the episode and I have still 30 mins left on the aftershow, but I have to thank KC for the upbeat ending of this one.
Plus, Muldoon is my new hero. I'm going to call Datu "Doodoo" from now on. That part cracked me up.

Merlin1274
Dec 11th, 2012, 05:28 AM
It twas EPIC!!!! Awesome Job guys.. Can't wait till the next season.. KC damn fine job.. The Cast.. Damn good voice acting.. Love listening to you guys..And everyone else that has a part in this Epic Podcoast.. THANK YOU!!!!!.. Now time to go hybernate till next season..

nikvoodoo
Dec 11th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I listened late to the episode and I have still 30 mins left on the aftershow, but I have to thank KC for the upbeat ending of this one.
Plus, Muldoon is my new hero. I'm going to call Datu "Doodoo" from now on. That part cracked me up.

*ahem*

King Datu the Resourceful is not Doodoo.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM

I do not think that you will dare calling Datu Doodoo if he is just an arm length's away from a chair leg or a pickaxe...

scbubba
Dec 11th, 2012, 09:12 AM

It's just two syllables. Da and a two. It's not hard....

<crackpot>
King Datu the Resourceful will construct a time machine out of MRE wrappers, the skin from a zombie's forearm, some hydraulic fluid, an empty whiskey bottle, and 2 dented 5.56mm rounds. With it, he will go back in time to find a young Bill Roberts on the verge of becoming a middle school bully. Datu will show him kindness and forever alter the WA universe by eliminating the catalyst for Z-Day.

However, with the Law of Unintended Consequences, this will also cause a young girl nicknamed "Scratch" to rise higher in the Family than she would have otherwise and become an Evil Crime Overlord in LA who enlists an impressionable Saul Tink to do some more pilfering. This causes Saul to get sent up the river for a longer stay and not join the Army.

In the end, this results in Lady not being rescued so she goes to the pound. And never comes out.....

Why, Datu? Why!!!?!?!?!?
</crackpot>

Robzombie
Dec 11th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Saul narrates that Victor is attacked by the one with the missing arm. After he kills it and the helicopter lands, a colonist asks if they should burm it. Puck states that it doesn't have a number, but Lizzie says that it did at one point, refering to the time right before Bricks ripped its arm off during the ambush on the Mallers.

Micheal clearly states that he is writing this '...not for anyone to read, but for my own sanity.'

Yup, thats the one that lost its arm vs Bricks in the truck.

It's not plausible to me that this is about him being in jail, but does it indidcate that he's the lone survivor???

scbubba
Dec 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM
It's not plausible to me that this is about him being in jail, but does it indidcate that he's the lone survivor???

Not sure it implies that. It's not necessarily Michael doing the reading. It's done in Michael's voice since it was his writing. Several times in the series the writer's voice is used instead of the reader's voice.

The "not for anyone to read, but for my own sanity" part also doesn't imply anything about the reader or the situation in which it's being read. Those are the words Michael wrote in the journal when he started it.

As far as I can tell, we still have a full blown mystery on our hands as to who is reading the journals (not just Michael's)...

Robzombie
Dec 11th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Not sure it implies that. It's not necessarily Michael doing the reading. It's done in Michael's voice since it was his writing. Several times in the series the writer's voice is used instead of the reader's voice.

The "not for anyone to read, but for my own sanity" part also doesn't imply anything about the reader or the situation in which it's being read. Those are the words Michael wrote in the journal when he started it.

As far as I can tell, we still have a full blown mystery on our hands as to who is reading the journals (not just Michael's)...

Oh absolutely, we won't know till the end, but now I get ya about it not necesarily being Michael actually reading the journal (or was the one reading his own journal in the begining), but someone else reading from his journal, gotcha. Yup, totally. But I'll delete/destroy all audio files and trash my Ipad if it turns out to be Scratch reading it.

scbubba
Dec 11th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Oh absolutely, we won't know till the end, but now I get ya about it not necesarily being Michael actually reading the journal (or was the one reading his own journal in the begining), but someone else reading from his journal, gotcha. Yup, totally. But I'll delete/destroy all audio files and trash my Ipad if it turns out to be Scratch reading it.

I heard that. By my very unscientific observation of the forums it seems we have 3 main camps on the reading of the journals: Michael, Scratch, and Ink/TOWTM/Pinstripes. I'm sure there are other plausible choices but I keep seeing these come up most often. In my mind, it's one of the biggest "mysteries" we have right there with "how did Zday happen?", "who the hell is Ink/TOWTM/Pinstripes?", "Cracks in Inglewood?", and "Randy? WTF is up with that dude?"

Man, season 4 can't come soon enough.... O_o

Witch_Doctor
Dec 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I heard that. By my very unscientific observation of the forums it seems we have 3 main camps on the reading of the journals: Michael, Scratch, and Ink/TOWTM/Pinstripes. I'm sure there are other plausible choices but I keep seeing these come up most often. In my mind, it's one of the biggest "mysteries" we have right there with "how did Zday happen?", "who the hell is Ink/TOWTM/Pinstripes?", "Cracks in Inglewood?", and "Randy? WTF is up with that dude?"

I've always wondered if the time before the outbreak will come into play. At the beginning of Micheal's journal he states that, "As I recall, the months leading up to when this all began weren't much to remember. " (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Chapter+1+Transcript)
My thoughts on the journals are that they are used by Micheal to narrate the story. I don't suspect that they are the only source that he draw's upon for narrating, but that he includes verbal accounts to piece together the story.

Some pieces of evidence that suggests that Micheal is narrating his and others' accounts.

The last part of Chapter 2 when he sends Saul and Angel on the first scavenging mission, he says he is able to piece together what happened from their account.
Chapter 4 shows Micheal writing in his journal while being repeatedly interrupted. He then decides that others keep journals too.
Chapter 30, we witness a 'probable' account of what took place during the Chinook mission. Micheal says that it was pieced together from various accounts and might not be entirely accurate.

One can also argue that Micheal is not the soul narrator of the story, but that the audience is simply able to view it from the perspective of a number of central characters, i.e. we see it because s/he sees it. However, what suggests otherwise is the fact that on at least one occasion, Saul's and Angel's scavenging mission that takes place BEFORE the journals were mandatory, Micheal states that he is relating what he was told after the fact.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 11th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I am wondering if there is already some A-Team-like welding and metal plate bending going on at the colony...

But I hope that Datu will create better vehicles than this one by the Syrian rebels - though it could be directly taken from Mad Max:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1BDrFzFY0

Real tanks possess Playstation controllers!

LiamKerrington
Dec 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM

What, if all this reading and looking back into the past is done by Michael alone, after all the Survivors were killed and beat to death by the zeehs, and Michael's the last one to survive and to having fled from the massacre. And now Michael puts things together for anyone who may find the entries ... That would fit the pretty common theme, that many to most zombie-stories end with a bad, very dystopian-style finale ...

scbubba
Dec 11th, 2012, 12:58 PM
One can also argue that Micheal is not the soul narrator of the story, but that the audience is simply able to view it from the perspective of a number of central characters, i.e. we see it because s/he sees it. However, what suggests otherwise is the fact that on at least one occasion, Saul's and Angel's scavenging mission that takes place BEFORE the journals were mandatory, Micheal states that he is relating what he was told after the fact.

I took all that to mean that, early on, Michael was taking what others told him and was writing it in his journal. After around Chapter 4, many others started writing their own journals and most of the events we, the listeners, know about comes from any of the journals that were kept. I think the story is meant to be a narrative of the collection of journals that the survivors kept.

It could prove very interesting to see that there is no "character" reading the journals. Instead it is "us" who have somehow fund them and are trying to piece together some significant events that have led to where we are today.

Maybe we are "new recruits" in the Battle of the Zed and these journals are required reading for anyone joining the fight...

The mind boggles at the many paths this could follow!

Robzombie
Dec 11th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I like to think that it's Michael, Pegs, or maybe better yet Lizzie, and she's recounting a history to her son, in what is now a safe and z'd free world.

I can picture it...a repopulated colony with mini-Michael/Pegs, mini-Lizzie/Sauls, mini-Victor/Kellys and dare I say it mini-Burt/Scratches all sitting around the camp fire pleading Uncle Cross to "tell us about your zombie adventures just one more time pleeeeease"

LiamKerrington
Dec 11th, 2012, 02:32 PM
mini-Burt/Scratches

Awesome.

(edit: although this might now work considering the backstory of Scratch and assuming that the damages done might have destroyed her ability to give birth to a child ...)

Witch_Doctor
Dec 11th, 2012, 11:08 PM
It's just two syllables. Da and a two. It's not hard....

<crackpot>
King Datu the Resourceful will construct a time machine out of MRE wrappers, the skin from a zombie's forearm, some hydraulic fluid, an empty whiskey bottle, and 2 dented 5.56mm rounds. With it, he will go back in time to find a young Bill Roberts on the verge of becoming a middle school bully. Datu will show him kindness and forever alter the WA universe by eliminating the catalyst for Z-Day.

However, with the Law of Unintended Consequences, this will also cause a young girl nicknamed "Scratch" to rise higher in the Family than she would have otherwise and become an Evil Crime Overlord in LA who enlists an impressionable Saul Tink to do some more pilfering. This causes Saul to get sent up the river for a longer stay and not join the Army.

In the end, this results in Lady not being rescued so she goes to the pound. And never comes out.....

Why, Datu? Why!!!?!?!?!?
</crackpot>

I can't stand to be in a parallel universe without Lady!!! Quick! Someone find a perpendicular universe out of here!!!

Witch_Doctor
Dec 11th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I took all that to mean that, early on, Michael was taking what others told him and was writing it in his journal. After around Chapter 4, many others started writing their own journals and most of the events we, the listeners, know about comes from any of the journals that were kept. I think the story is meant to be a narrative of the collection of journals that the survivors kept.

It could prove very interesting to see that there is no "character" reading the journals. Instead it is "us" who have somehow fund them and are trying to piece together some significant events that have led to where we are today.

Maybe we are "new recruits" in the Battle of the Zed and these journals are required reading for anyone joining the fight...

The mind boggles at the many paths this could follow!

I approach the story under the assumption that there is no character reading the journals at story's end, and providing us with his/her perspective, but we are viewing the story based on the key characters' experiences.

Hoff4D
Dec 12th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Perhaps this 'flashback' to the beginning took place somewhere when Michael got to Ft. Irwin (or some other places you people will piece together based on styles of narrative maybe changing, I haven't fleshed this idea out 100% yet) and now we are experiencing things in 'real time' from various accounts. I mean, didnt they all admit to not writing anything down anymore? Perhaps we caught up with the narrative and this is all happening as its narrated, thus there is no 'end scene' of someone reading the journals, just the actual ending, as it happens. Most likely being everyone dying and Skittles left to his vices Twilight Zone style, or my personal favorite theory of Scratch taking down Ink in the final scene.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Perhaps this 'flashback' to the beginning took place somewhere when Michael got to Ft. Irwin (or some other places you people will piece together based on styles of narrative maybe changing, I haven't fleshed this idea out 100% yet) and now we are experiencing things in 'real time' from various accounts. I mean, didnt they all admit to not writing anything down anymore? Perhaps we caught up with the narrative and this is all happening as its narrated, thus there is no 'end scene' of someone reading the journals, just the actual ending, as it happens. Most likely being everyone dying and Skittles left to his vices Twilight Zone style, or my personal favorite theory of Scratch taking down Ink in the final scene.

So do you think that the series ends with a fade out like The Sopranos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_America_(The_Sopranos))? Would this not be unsatisfying to a certain degree? But why not. There two ways of ending a zombie story - the characters either die (as depicted by the vast majority of movies and books) or someone miraculously finds a cure. I do not regard neither of these two endings to be favorable for the WA ending. The first one is too conventional the second one would just seem ... forced.

Hoff4D
Dec 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM
So do you think that the series ends with a fade out like The Sopranos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_America_(The_Sopranos))? Would this not be unsatisfying to a certain degree? But why not. There two ways of ending a zombie story - the characters either die (as depicted by the vast majority of movies and books) or someone miraculously finds a cure. I do not regard neither of these two endings to be favorable for the WA ending. The first one is too conventional the second one would just seem ... forced.

I don't think it's just going to fade out, I'm not sure what will happen, I just think Scratch will take out Ink somehow. As far as perspective, I think we may have passed the 'flashback point' and are now in real-time....as in the Ch1 reading of michael began when Kimmet made him focus solely on Intel really, and he was just reviewing everyone's journal. Now we are live from whoevers perspective the story is then being told from, sort of omnipresent story telling, but not quite. As in we only get characters perspectives who are still alive

Privateer
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:43 PM

And theres really one way WA can end, and that /is/ the former. Regardless of how any of them survive, the loss of Irwin and Boulder means humanity officially doesn't have a future, and were watching a story about how it died. Theres no greater cause then selfish survival, at this point. Lizzie Jr. is the last generation of humanity, and there is no victory to be had now. Any setting where they live would feel off if thay particular fact wasn't explicit. So,it might be easier for them to all die. Its a flashier defeat, but it'll be a defeat anyway. :P

scbubba
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:26 PM
And theres really one way WA can end, and that /is/ the former. Regardless of how any of them survive, the loss of Irwin and Boulder means humanity officially doesn't have a future, and were watching a story about how it died. Theres no greater cause then selfish survival, at this point. Lizzie Jr. is the last generation of humanity, and there is no victory to be had now. Any setting where they live would feel off if thay particular fact wasn't explicit. So,it might be easier for them to all die. Its a flashier defeat, but it'll be a defeat anyway. :P

I'm not really sure that Boulder and Fort Irwin were the "last" stands for humanity. Recall that the Colony was actually doing OK until it drew the attention of TOWTMs and his special band. If there aren't others like TOWTM/Pinstripes in other cities/towns then there could be pockets of people surviving here and there. Not necessarily millions or even 100,000 in one place but thousands here and there that could be pulled together over time.

Its mainly going to depend on how wide spread "special" Zeds are, I think. And since we're not really getting much look at the outside world (and who knows if we will at all) we dont really know yet.

Honestly, I'm 50/50 on whether the ending will be humans live or humans die at this point. I'd probably prefer the humans live ending but could definitely accept either one if the story is solid (and it has been so far...)

LiamKerrington
Dec 15th, 2012, 02:53 AM
scbubba: Pretty much what I think as well.

radon
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:53 PM
does anyone know the date of the next episode?

LiamKerrington
Dec 15th, 2012, 11:46 PM
does anyone know the date of the next episode?

The next epsiode starts season #4. As far as I know, season #4 is meant to be started in summer 2k13, but the schedule is not fix yet.

reaper239
Dec 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
did anyone else cheer when vic stabbed the little one in the eye?

one thing they definitely don't have is a shortage of balls.

and cue crying datu

great season ender

scbubba
Dec 19th, 2012, 07:20 AM

Hell yeah! I scared my wife cuz I was listening in the next room with headphones on and at that part I yelled (yes yelled) "VICTOOOOOOORRRRR!!!!!" She came running in like "WTF!" and i just sat back down, smiled at her, and pointed to the headphones.... :-)

great season ender

Damn straight. It was great!

reaper239
Dec 19th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hell yeah! I scared my wife cuz I was listening in the next room with headphones on and at that part I yelled (yes yelled) "VICTOOOOOOORRRRR!!!!!" She came running in like "WTF!" and i just sat back down, smiled at her, and pointed to the headphones.... :-)

Damn straight. It was great!

i love when they release the whole chapter as the season finale, it gives a great sense of finality, like going out with a bang.

DaTank
Dec 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM
honestly, I wanna know how both Kelly and Pegs escape Boulder during the whole attack

Witch_Doctor
Dec 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Yep, I even yelled something in Spanish. Don't know what it was. Not even sure if it was grammatically correct, appropriate or... hell, if it was even Spanish, but Victor would have known what I was saying.

reaper239
Dec 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
honestly, I wanna know how both Kelly and Pegs escape Boulder during the whole attack

there has been talk of, call it, extracurricular works being released during the break, something like a burt origin story. who knows, maybe we'll get an escape from boulder pegs and kelly story.

LiamKerrington
Dec 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
great season ender

1) Not yelled. But I was so awed and speechless by this awesome badassitude XXL style deluxe with cheese and sugar on top ... It was like having a new primary hero No #1 rising out of the ashes of LA ... The phoenix of humankind ... Yes, Victor. That's a true victor worth the name and role!
2) Yep.

Adventureless_Hero
Dec 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM
32 pages?! Fuuuuuuuu......

Osiris
Dec 19th, 2012, 06:50 PM
32 pages?! Fuuuuuuuu......

Yeah... you'd swear it was THE episode to end all episodes.

DaTank
Dec 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Now that they are all back together it will be interesting how they will take the fight to them instead of the survivors being always attack. I wonder what Scratch and the other mallers are up to? Will there be a truce?

Elisa
Dec 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
there has been talk of, call it, extracurricular works being released during the break, something like a burt origin story. who knows, maybe we'll get an escape from boulder pegs and kelly story. That would be epic.

Hey I know this is probably the wrong episode but why was that helicopter recon mission sent out to LA by the military? The one that ended up picking up all the Inklets and destroying Boulder Safe Zone? Sorry fuzzy memory. :p

And I do agree, love the season finales in one big episode/podcast. :yay:

Osiris
Dec 20th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Now that they are all back together it will be interesting how they will take the fight to them instead of the survivors being always attack. I wonder what Scratch and the other mallers are up to? Will there be a truce?

Oh shit no, sir... peace with Scratch will only be brought about by handing Pegs over with a ribbon in her hair.

LiamKerrington
Dec 21st, 2012, 01:13 AM
Truce does not imply peace, does it?
Wouldn't it be nice to see another evil scheme of deceit and lies from Scratch? Like: She accepts the truce with Michael and guys, joins forces; and in the right moment she kills Pegs. Too far-fetched, or pretty much Scratch-style? One flaw in this picture: Scratch might be way to proud to agree in a truce with anyone for as long as she has options.

scbubba
Dec 21st, 2012, 03:56 AM
Wouldn't it be nice to see another evil scheme of deceit and lies from Scratch? Like: She accepts the truce with Michael and guys, joins forces; and in the right moment she kills Pegs. Too far-fetched, or pretty much Scratch-style? One flaw in this picture: Scratch might be way to proud to agree in a truce with anyone for as long as she has options.

My view of Scratch is that she could be sneaky enough to agree to the "truce" long enough to get what she wants. I'm not sure that anyone on the other side would do it. So far, just about everyone from the Tower group (aka, our heroes) has stated a hatred for, and desire to kill (in various ways) our little Scratch.

In other words, I would be amazed if Michael and Co. were to actually trust her long enough for a truce to be made. But then again, it is quite an extraordinary set of events that has brought us to season 4 now....

DaTank
Dec 21st, 2012, 07:44 PM
Oh shit no, sir... peace with Scratch will only be brought about by handing Pegs over with a ribbon in her hair.

I agree with you that there will be no truce with Scratch and that there are some choices that every character has on order to survive

Osiris
Dec 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM

It's the very definition of the word, sir.

awkwardalex
Dec 25th, 2012, 01:42 AM

Haha. Oh you were serious? (Only teasing)

I doubt that scratch is gonna switch over to the light side...ever.
And in the freaky chance that she did, it wouldn't matter the gang has a pretty big grudge with her.
- 1 Finger roughly chopped
- 1 dead leuitenant
- 1 damaged tower
-Return later to burn it down and kill all b-roles
- 1 captured and killed girl
- mix all together and add a dash of fury fueled vendetta against the dirty hippie.

LiamKerrington
Dec 25th, 2012, 04:26 AM
And in the freaky chance that she did, it wouldn't matter the gang has a pretty big grudge with her.

She wouldn't switch to the light side. But if she saw a huge benefit (like finally getting a realistic chance to kill off Pegs, and along that Scratch's own survival), then Scratch would join forces - how unlikely this may seem at the moment.

I wouldn't want Scratch for an enemy for as long as she had the slightest chance to kick my ass; but I'd like to see her on my ranks for soldiers or minions to fight for my cause, even with her evil demeanor - or because of it - combined with her fighting abilities.

DaTank
Dec 25th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Haha. Oh you were serious? (Only teasing)

- 1 Finger roughly chopped
- 1 dead leuitenant
- 1 damaged tower
-Return later to burn it down and kill all b-roles
- 1 captured and killed girl
- mix all together and add a dash of fury fueled vendetta against the dirty hippie.

No I wasn't serious, I knew that there would never be a truce, but I am curious about angel and scratch though

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 25th, 2012, 03:15 PM
She wouldn't switch to the light side. But if she saw a huge benefit (like finally getting a realistic chance to kill off Pegs, and along that Scratch's own survival), then Scratch would join forces - how unlikely this may seem at the moment.

I wouldn't want Scratch for an enemy for as long as she had the slightest chance to kick my ass; but I'd like to see her on my ranks for soldiers or minions to fight for my cause, even with her evil demeanor - or because of it - combined with her fighting abilities.

I do not think that there will be a truce between Scratch and Team Good in season 4. She has crossed the rubicon a long time ago. Of course there could always be ways to force a temporary truce but hands down - in my opinion this would not be a good example of genuine storytelling as most of us can recount numerous similar situations from TV or movie history.
Furthermore, if Scratch joins Team Good, I expect the next step of Team Good to be juggling with unlocked thermal detonators. :D

Just my 2 ct.

LiamKerrington
Dec 26th, 2012, 02:16 AM
So, Scratch is an offspring of Mr Wulff then? (That'S an insider for us Germans ...)
As I said: I don't exclude the possibility that all may join forces (the enemy of my enemy blablabla ...); but I agree to the simple fact that the threshold for remaining Mallers and remaining Twoerites/Colonists is put very, very high.
Besides: Wouldn't it be nice to see a deviance from standard-issue storytelling? :yay:

All the best!
Liam

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 26th, 2012, 02:44 AM
So, Scratch is an offspring of Mr Wulff then? (That'S an insider for us Germans ...)
As I said: I don't exclude the possibility that all may join forces (the enemy of my enemy blablabla ...); but I agree to the simple fact that the threshold for remaining Mallers and remaining Twoerites/Colonists is put very, very high.
Besides: Wouldn't it be nice to see a deviance from standard-issue storytelling? :yay:

All the best!
Liam

I was not thinking of Mr Wulff Liam, I recently watched a documentary about the Roman Empire, that is all. Besides, Mr Wulff misused this very reference in one of the most awkward kind of ways...

However, I do not want to deny that there might be a very, very, very tiny possibility. I mean, even Hitler joined the US army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Patrick_Stuart-Houston).

But hell, NOOOOO way! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

LiamKerrington
Dec 26th, 2012, 04:11 AM
That's not Darth Vader. That's the joke ending Episode III of a trilogie that is an aberration ... ;)
But I got your point.

Mograppler
Dec 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
There is no way that anyone from the tower would ever join forces with scratch. I think it's pretty obvious that that could never happen.

UndeadSweeper
Dec 26th, 2012, 02:10 PM
That's not Darth Vader. That's the joke ending Episode III of a trilogie that is an aberration ... ;)
But I got your point.

Episode III? I think you are wrong, there was never an Eps 3 of Star Wars. Only ones I know about are 4,5,6 and that it.

LiamKerrington
Dec 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Episode III? I think you are wrong, there was never an Eps 3 of Star Wars. Only ones I know about are 4,5,6 and that it.

You were right, if I had spoken of Star Wars Episode III; but I spoke only of Episode III, which is something completely different.

scbubba
Dec 27th, 2012, 04:44 AM

I heard they might remaster those "other" films to remove any and all references of Jar Jar out of them. I think the re-release will be one movie entitled: "Star Wars: Episodes I - III: Sorry about that"

antros
Dec 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Not gonna lie, I wept a bit when the chopper showed up at the end of the episode.

LiamKerrington
Dec 28th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Not gonna lie, I wept a bit when the chopper showed up at the end of the episode.

It was one of those moments of hope ...

scbubba
Dec 28th, 2012, 04:35 AM

Definitely one of those dramatic moments I love to come across in a series. I let out a "whoop!" when I listened the first time.... :-)

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Dec 28th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Definitely one of those dramatic moments I love to come across in a series. I let out a "whoop!" when I listened the first time.... :-)

Seconded. The whole scene reminded me of the good old Airwolf days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO_LR4X-43Y

Z Sniper
Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=reaper239;53472]did anyone else cheer when vic stabbed the little one in the eye?

I would have but I'd just been bitch-slapped by a not-so-little one!

canadawolf2002
Jan 4th, 2013, 08:06 PM
i deliberatly did not listen to the episode when it first came out i decided to wait and savour the moment. i waited till just after xmas to listen to it. so late one night after taking tasha (my rottie) for her final walk of the night, it was midnight and 32 below.....thats c not f lol im from canada. for some reason i cant remember i went to the basement and opened the cabinet where i keep my old army uniform and webgear from my time in the service. I pulled my old canteen cup and made a cup of coffee with a splash of rum in it. tasha and i sat in the kitchen with the lights off and just the flickering of a small candle i set out and we listened. rest of family was asleep so there was no distractions. i found myself sitting forward and feeling the physical tension in my body as i lived with the characters i have come to know. the frustration, relief and excitement i experienced was quite profound. i look forward to the next season and have placed the old metal cup in the kitchen cabinet with the candle in anticipation.

Roxey
Jan 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Tanya will have to amputate CJ's leg, replacing it with a long silver stiletto (for bad-ass effect) with a roller skate on the bottom = NAILED IT! Uh, well... this hasn't happened YET, but GET THAT STILETTO READY, KC!

I stop by often just to read others perspective of the show but never felt a need to respond. I enjoy your insightful predictions most of all.
I nearly feel off the couch when I read this post. It warrants a reply now that I can type again.

Nice one Litmaster. :D:D

Hellbringer
Jan 6th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Listened to this episode at least 5 times. I'll probably be playing it at least five more.

DaTank
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Been listening to the episode at least 8 times, going way back to listen all of them to keep me busy

Witch_Doctor
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I wonder if the second nuke was in one of the barracks. Here are some hints:

Chapter 28, part 2, Pucks warns the new arrivals to Fort Irwin to stay off of the second and third floors. (Of course it is before Kimmet returns from Pantec.
Kimmet seem to be herding the survivors to and around the barracks and using them to lure the Inklings into the area of the barracks.
The Black Hawk is last heard while hovering over the barracks. (This is likely due to the fact that the story is being told in audio form, i.e. the best way to hint at the bomb's location without visually showing it)

Anyway, doesn't matter, it seems.

Cabbage Patch
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I wonder if the second nuke was in one of the barracks. Here are some hints:

Chapter 28, part 2, Pucks warns the new arrivals to Fort Irwin to stay off of the second and third floors. (Of course it is before Kimmet returns from Pantec.
Kimmet seem to be herding the survivors to and around the barracks and using them to lure the Inklings into the area of the barracks.
The Black Hawk is last heard while hovering over the barracks. (This is likely due to the fact that the story is being told in audio form, i.e. the best way to hint at the bomb's location without visually showing it)

Interesting theory. So if Kimmet was out picking up nukes at Pantex when Michael and crew arrived at Fort Irwin, then that means that Pegs, Datu, Kelly and hope flew to Boulder with that city's nuke. Maybe in that Hummer that was on the C-130.

StrangeMeadowlark
Jan 6th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Would they even let civilians on the C-130 if it had the nukes on it? IF they wanted to keep the nukes secret, then flying it with non-military who shouldn't know they exist would be a bad idea.

scbubba
Jan 6th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Interesting theory. So if Kimmet was out picking up nukes at Pantex when Michael and crew arrived at Fort Irwin, then that means that Pegs, Datu, Kelly and hope flew to Boulder with that city's nuke. Maybe in that Hummer that was on the C-130.

Or he sent them via separate transport and the one in Boulder got there before our heroes. Either way, it makes you wonder about I decisions like that. What does it do to people to have to make decisions about who lives and who dies on a pretty massive scale? Reminds me of the Cuban Missle Crisis and the Cold War.

Witch_Doctor
Jan 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Would they even let civilians on the C-130 if it had the nukes on it? IF they wanted to keep the nukes secret, then flying it with non-military who shouldn't know they exist would be a bad idea.

According to Kimmet, no one knew they existed, except he and the engineers who installed them. They were likely packaged nondescriptly.

The timeline for this is a bit off, though. Kimmet tells Michael that it was put in place BEFORE Michael's arrival.

Red Shirt
Jan 8th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Alright, I don't have much, just a few things I want to throw out there... only the end of Season Three and a Thirty-Six page thread to catch up on, but I'm BACK.

Is there any chance that Muldoon and Edwards' Blackhawk survived the fight at Fort Irwin? I know it was over the barracks when Muldoon warned them to run and there wasn't much time to act before the nuke went off. But there is some serious terrain around Fort Irwin, and it wouldn't take a Blackhawk very much time to get behind a mountain and into one of the deeper valleys, where it could potentially survive a nuke blast at the main encampment.

I regretfully doubt it. The B-53 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B53_nuclear_bomb) was a 9 Megaton device:
(Please see below for my chagrined corrections.)

It would have more or less glassed the garrison proper and done significant damage to the entire "bowl" valley Irwin sat in. I don't think that there would have been enough time for that chopper to make it far enough to make it to significant terrain to shadow behind. The B-53 was actually a bit of over kill.

If it did survive the blast & EMP, where could it get to after all that? It had a been in the air a pretty good amount of time prior to the blast, I think.

So what's the range of a Blackhawk under normal conditions? I know they went to LA and back with a Blackhawk before so it's definitely doable, right?

CP Nailed it, it is over 1300 Miles with the ESSS tank modification, but it was a Chinook that they took to LA.

Good info. Thanks CP!

I would assume fuel would become the main limiter for air travel now. But since nobody else is out there using it, there should be some caches around. Getting it to the choppers, or getting the choppers to the fuel, could get tricky.

I wonder if we're gonna see much of the air support in Season 4. Air superiority has decided many battles in history so it would definitely warrant thought here....

Well, there is the Airport, the fuel depot and don't forget, LA is an Oil Town.
(For frack's sake. I thought I posted info about that here on the forums, a Youtube video on it. It's Killing me, not being able to find it. Anyway, check THIS (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3307-Chapter-30-Short-Term-Memory-part-1&p=41531#post41531) for reference.)

PANTEC is in Texas. Not sure is that's within the Pelican's range...

It isn't. LA to Amarillo is 937.5 miles. (Round trip 1875) The only thing they MIGHT have at their disposal is an ESSS equipped Blackhawk, and that's a one-way trip.

For your consideration, here's a list of aircraft and fuel ranges (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3255-Pantex-The-Place-Where-Kimmet-Was&p=41235&viewfull=1#post41235) I was researching for transportation to PANTEX. It is still relevant as, in addition to the Pelican, it lists other aircraft they might be able to get their hands on. If they're lucky.

Now I dont know if anybody has said this and I'm not going to go through 26 pages to see...
I Did. :D

*ahem* King Datu the Resourceful is not Doodoo.

No, no, no. It's R2DATU & The Millennium Pelican. Thanks again for that Witch_Doctor.

There's no way it could have fit in Hummer, the damn things were the size of a Hummer. They only weigh just a bit over 4 tons and would fit on a C130 so it is in the realm of possibility that it could have been on their plane.

Maybe, maybe not. The B-53 doesn't look like what a "popularized" bomb looks like, throw a tarp over it and call it a water tank. The civvies would be none the wiser.

Alright, two predictions:

We learn that CJ is COL Kimmet's other niece, the Black Sheep of the Kimmet family.
Radiation poisoning becomes evident in one or more of the characters that evac'd out of Boulder.

Oh yeah. The B-53 (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3357-Chapter-30-Short-Term-Memory-part-2&p=42445#post42445). I kinda called it (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3357-Chapter-30-Short-Term-Memory-part-2&p=42472#post42472). No I didn't, cuz Imma dummy :o

Boom goes the dynamite.

Witch_Doctor
Jan 8th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Hey hey hey, Red Shirt is back :D Good to see you, buddy. As always, really good, thoughtful post.
One correction though, the nukes were 1.2 mT B83s, not propane tank-sized B53.

B-83 2379

B-53 2378

B-52 2380

Red Shirt
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Hey hey hey, Red Shirt is back :D Good to see you, buddy. As always, really good, thoughtful post.
One correction though, the nukes were 1.2 mT B83s, not propane tank-sized B53.

Crap. Just checked the wiki on it and found the thread that I should have known about. Notably Cabbage Patch's blast & fallout report.

And that kids, is what happens when you don't have internet.

B52 2380

:D

Red Shirt
Jan 9th, 2013, 11:19 AM
OK, so thank you goes to Witch_Doctor for pointing out my error with the type of warhead that was used, and to Cabbage Patch (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Nuclear+Bomb) for their work on the previously mentioned blast and fallout report.

With that information in hand, I reviewed my damage assessment of Irwin. Which is still a total loss:

You can see that the damage is still extensive and that the garrison proper is still toast.

However,

Several important considerations to think about are that:

The B-83 overall size is mostly a delivery device. Hell, the rear third is a parachute. The actual physics package is only 3-4 feet long and easily hidden...
Hidden where? if Kimmet had it placed in a basement then blast mitigation is slightly on our side. If he placed it, say at the top of a water tower then the damage could have been greater. (The blast calculator tool doesn't specify sub-surface, surface or air burst...)
The B-83 has a variable yield warhead, adjustable from the low Kt range to a max of 1.2 Mt...

I still think though, that any birds in the air were probably destroyed. But, if they reacted fast enough, it is possible that they might have been able to shadow behind terrain to escape the blast. Any of the mountains to the West, North or South may have been sufficient. However, there was still a massive EMP associated with this detonation...

The Ammo Holding Area South of garrison would likely be a total loss, as would the West AHA. Both AHA's are relatively close, the South AHA across a stretch of open flat land. However, depending on the exact location of the bomb in garrison and that the doors of the south ammo bunkers face away from base and the West AHA is 'behind' a small mountain, it is possible that they survived the blast.
(I am looking at the satellite for the AHA locations, I have no idea if they were in use in May of 2009.)

Again, depending on the location of the bomb, it is possible that C130's parked out at Bicycle Lake Army Airfield might have survived the blast. It is hard to say if the mountains between garrison and the likely parking area at BLAA are tall enough. I don't recall if it was directly addressed, but I think that with Boulder getting overrun, airworthy C130's would have taken off for Irwin... with or without evacuees.

I think it might be time to go back to Bell and hit up Supply's NBC cage and get some Radiacs.

DaTank
Jan 11th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Curious, Kimmet thought he could hold the fort with the troops he had, but in the end he nuke it cause there was no other choice except go to the colony with Michael and the others.

Red Shirt
Jan 14th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Curious, Kimmet thought he could hold the fort with the troops he had, but in the end he nuke it cause there was no other choice except go to the colony with Michael and the others.

From Kimmet's introduction, he seemed like a strait shooter, a ball buster to be sure, but generally on the up an up. You don't make it to full bird by being everyone's friend.

Yes, he did put into place the nuclear contingency. That, while terrifying, also seemed to me to be a tactically sound decision. I mentioned previously that under the provisions of the Continuity of Operations Plan (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3357-Chapter-30-Short-Term-Memory-part-2&p=42217#post42217) and during the PANTEX discussion that:

...with the disintegration of the entire chain of command above his position, and presumably the Commander in Chief, he may very well be the "rankingest" person left in the US military. That would actually give him the authority to deploy nuclear weapons.

All of his actions to that point seemed to be in following with what he was allowed to do and frankly with what he should have done.

With learning that his Niece had been killed however, presumably the last family he had, he seemed to slowly become "unhinged." Despite Micheal's experience with the zed's in LA, he ignored his advice. Advice that might have stopped or at least curtailed the events In Boulder and subsequently Ft. Irwin.

With the loss of Boulder and the overwhelming attack on Irwin, Kimmet lost it. Reasoning with him at this point would have been like nailing jello to the wall.

Sane, well balanced officers don't pull their sidearm on their subordinates. They also can recognize that they are not just losing a battle, but also losing their foothold in an established safe zone. They don't heard civvies into a holding area to lure zeds into a Nuclear Kill Zone. Simply put, Kimmet went insane, clinically & certifiable. At that point, nothing he did would make sense.

RabidWolf
Jan 14th, 2013, 10:03 PM
........ ck!

DaTank
Jan 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
The drive from Boulder, Colorado to Fort Irwin even possible with the routes that were taken?

Red Shirt
Jan 16th, 2013, 02:15 PM
The drive from Boulder, Colorado to Fort Irwin even possible with the routes that were taken?

Sure, Check THIS (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3703-We-re-Alive-100!!!!!-AKA-Chapter-34-2-It-Only-Takes-One&p=48717#post48717), the Boulder impact analysis that Cabbage Patch did for "It Only Takes One."

From the rendezvous point at/near Genesee Park, follow I-70 West... Just a bit South-West of central Utah, I-70 ends ("T's off") at I-15. Follow I-15 South to Exit 189 in California. That's Fort Irwin Road.

That's the direct and easy to follow route, though I think it would be likely that the evacuation convoy would have gone cross country directly to Irwin from the Baker area. The only point of consequence is that I-15 runs right through the heart of Las Vegas...

(Though while checking this out, I learned that Nellis AFB in Vegas has, among other aircraft, A-10's... hey Chief Muldoon, how do you feel about fixed wing?)

scbubba
Jan 16th, 2013, 05:03 PM
(Though while checking this out, I learned that Nellis AFB in Vegas has, among other aircraft, A-10's... hey Chief Muldoon, how do you feel about fixed wing?)

Something tells me Muldoon likes the maneuverability of the rotary more. Although, the A10 might fly slow enough for his liking. And we know how much Robbins likes the M234 so I bet he would fall in love with the 30mm cannon on the Warthog....

Hey Kc, I bet you could do some amazing sound work with an A-10... <wink wink> <nudge nudge> Know what I mean?

Sammy D
Jan 17th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I have now listened to the series twice and I can say I am grateful that this is the season finale. The story is at a great point I think this chapter did a great job of concluding a lot of plot lines and setting up the final season! Great episode, great battle, and a great show!

Cabbage Patch
Jan 18th, 2013, 07:00 AM
...though I think it would be likely that the evacuation convoy would have gone cross country directly to Irwin from the Baker area.

There is a trail that goes from Baker, CA onto the Fort Irwin reservation. But then you have to traverse the entire length of "the Box" to get to the base, which is all poorly maintained dirt trails through desert and mountains. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a 4WD vehicle, a driver experienced in driving in the desert, and a good map.

Cabbage Patch
Jan 25th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Here's a picture of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle on the ground at Fort Irwin. That hilly terrain with scrub growth is pretty typical of the entire region.

OldtypeM87
Feb 15th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Glad they brought back everyone together, best moment of the chapter. I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees that IT'S ABOUT TIME that they decided to go on the offensive. The Suit and his numbered children are in for a hell of a fight.

Aerock
Feb 17th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I've been nursing episodes of WA since I found out about it back in September 2012. I've been dreading this day, but I just finished the finale for Season 3. I'm happy to say that I'm caught up and can post with the rest of the forum when Season 4 starts... but that means that I have to wait till Season 4 starts... :(

To Kc Wayland & the WA Crew - AWESOME JOB so far! But seriously, KC, end the prohibition now. We've been dried out too long. Let season 4 flow! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

scbubba
Feb 17th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I've been nursing episodes of WA since I found out about it back in September 2012. I've been dreading this day, but I just finished the finale for Season 3. I'm happy to say that I'm caught up and can post with the rest of the forum when Season 4 starts... but that means that I have to wait till Season 4 starts... :(

To Kc Wayland & the WA Crew - AWESOME JOB so far! But seriously, KC, end the prohibition now. We've been dried out too long. Let season 4 flow! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

Well, now that you're all caught up go back and guzzle the whole show again like Bill with a new bottle of Sailor Jerry!

Da-Demon-Monkey
Apr 27th, 2013, 04:36 AM
I honestly hope they don't end up killing CJ in this next season or at least let her keep her legs and would really love to see what Hope can do when she gets her eyesight back.

Witch_Doctor
Apr 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I honestly hope they don't end up killing CJ in this next season or at least let her keep her legs and would really love to see what Hope can do when she gets her eyesight back.

I'm hoping CJ sticks around too. When Hope gets her eyesight back things might get interesting.

fridginators
Jun 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Second behemoth was shredded. I missed it during the broadcast. I had the screwed up echo thing during that moment so I didn't hear it. Much like I've missed other things due to technical snafus.I know this is years late, but I was listening again this morning and this was bugging me. So that Behemoth was shredded by Robbins?

Cabbage Patch
Jun 19th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I know this is years late, but I was listening again this morning and this was bugging me. So that Behemoth was shredded by Robbins?

Right. From the Pelican, with a minigun.

CitizenSoldier
Jun 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Hmmm so the biggest question is...what happens next

Robzombie
Jun 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Nah...I think THE biggest question is, how he hell did this happen?

Zombiphobe
Jul 17th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Just relistened to this episode (gearing up for Season 4!)

I loved how Victor used the syringe against the "Little One", but I only wish the helicopter crew hadn't intervened. I was curious to see if the zombie would succumb to the drugs. Too bad he was shredded before we got the chance to find out.

Id_Liston
Nov 2nd, 2015, 05:35 PM
WHY WOULD YOU END THE SEASON LIKE THAT??????!!!!! THAT IS SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Merlin1274
Nov 3rd, 2015, 06:08 AM
Oh but it was so AWESOME!!!!

turbo
Nov 3rd, 2015, 03:07 PM
WHY WOULD YOU END THE SEASON LIKE THAT??????!!!!! THAT IS SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Annoying?! it was beautiful and epic!!

Tiffany
Feb 29th, 2020, 07:27 AM
I'm currently in the 5th season of this series and I must say it is tremendous. All actors and the storyline is superb.I've developed a connection with all of the characters.I've seen a lot of action between fighting to survive. I listened to this countless times and can't compare this with a book. It's basically an audio drama that sets the bar for audio dramas. Highly recommended!